FM8 - will development continue?

Options
sastay
sastay Member Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Hi all

FM8 is imho the best FM-synth implementation for computers. It even consiters the nyquist problem (in contrast to other FM-synth plugins, which makes them useless for me).

So my question is: Will you provide further updates/grades? VST3 for example? Refurbished GUI?

Thank you very much in advance

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 249 Pro
    Options

Would love to see an FM9 with formant features like fs1R

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

Pretty sure they will.... eventually. Seems there are a lot of pies that NI have in the oven and not enough fingers to stick in them all. I cling to the prospect we will see useful updates to a lot of their software, all we can do is hope really as it's unlikely we will get an official answer with anything more than "it's planned for sometime in the future..... probably"

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,690 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

FM8 and Absynth will be updated soon, to port them to the VST3 format and also to ensure compatibility with M1 processors, in Rosetta mode first, then native support. I doubt there will be major improvements or new features in the near future.

• Stanislav Zalevskyi
    Stanislav Zalevskyi Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

NI, please make resizable GUIs for FM8, Absynth and Massive. Same goes for VST3 support.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,583 admin
    Options

Hey @Stanislav Zalevskyi we've got a post for that. Feel free to post your comments on this post here: Please make all UIs scalable

• sijarvis
    sijarvis Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

From what I understood in the previous forum, FM8 is not going to be updated.

To be honest, I only really started programming it in the past 2 years and whilst it has a few misgivings, it's a very interesting synth and unless NI introduce something better, it will be sorely missed by myself.

My hope is that Massive X is greatly expanded to fill the gap FM8's departure would create.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Hey @sijarvis As I've said earlier in this post, FM8 will be updated:

FM8 and Absynth will be updated soon, to port them to the VST3 format and also to ensure compatibility with M1 processors, in Rosetta mode first, then native support. I doubt there will be major improvements or new features in the near future.

• sastay
    Options

That’s perfect. M1 native and VST3. FM8 is perfect enough, no improvement possible ☺️

• sijarvis
    sijarvis Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I should have said "upgraded", instead of "updated".

Whilst compatibility updates are welcome, it's still headed towards the grave....way too early in my opinion.

• ThomasM74
    ThomasM74 Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I think the problem here is that NI is currently busy with working on cleaning up the M1 Mac and VST3 mess and can't focus on new products.

But given the recent increase in popularity of FM synthesis, given that FM8 still rocks, they should give it some love.

• Markam04
    Markam04 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Is FM8 compatible with the new M1 Macs yet? I've made a sizeable investment in Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate, and its very frustrating I can't use FM8 on my new M1 Mini. PLEASE UPDATE FM8 ASAP!

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Unfortunately, it's not compatible yet, Rosetta mode for FM8 should come in the next couple of months, if nothing comes in the way.

• Markam04
    Markam04 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for your reply. These products aren't exactly cheap, I would've expected better support, this is disappointing.

• sastay
    Options

It's really a shame. I tested some other FM simulation plugins, they simply do NOT sound as good as FM8. FM8 is way more smooth. I really want to carry on using it for another decade. I can live without a resizable GUI, but not without native M1 support. Please, make this happen, folks! I'd even be willing to pay 50 bucks for an upgrade!