Guitar Whammy Effect

Daf57
Daf57 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi all,

I am running midi notes (Reaper) through Session Guitar Mint in Melody mode. I'm wondering how to program in"whammy" effects like a wobble or a deep dive. Can that be programmed in via the midi editor? I'm rather new to midi but maybe that's called an articulation? Or does that have to be done in real time with keyboard or controller only? My guitar chops don't really allow for me to play them in - I've been programming most of my guitar parts.

If it's possible please refer me to some instruction. My searches all seem to end with Midi Whammy hardware devices and such.

Thanks!

Daf

Best Answer

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

You can draw in pitch bend in any DAW.

Looks like Mint has nice vibrato built in for use with a keyboard with Aftertouch. Some keyboards allow you to set a controller to adjust aftertouch if it's not a keyboard feature. So doesn't that window top left allow you to set the 'Pitch Bend' range? To get the "deep dive" set it all the way to -12.

• Daf57

Hi Gee_Flat,

I'm not using a keyboard - the midi notes are fixed, with Mint as VST. Are you saying that I can draw in the bend through the midi editor? Would be the same effect?

I'll do some research on drawing in bends in Reaper.

Thanks!

• Gee_Flat
    Answer ✓

Yeah. I prefer to do modifications in a controller lane in cubase, but your guitar won't bend to -12 if the instrument isn't setup to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cd6EnrYthk

• Daf57

Further experimenting confirms - just not enough "bend" to get where I want to be. ;)

Hey, thanks!

• Gee_Flat
    edited April 2023

What, you want the strings flapping sound? 😂

In Kontakt you can add 3 pitch bends to the 'Source' module and the pitchbend wheel will go down to -36. Same goes for automating the Tune knob in the instrument header. It's a workaround.

If you use K6, try adding 3 pitch to the source in the factory library 'Solo Guitar'. It's a good sounding guitar with full distortion and a Wah.

• Daf57

Nice! I do use K6, I'll be checking out Solo Guitar! Thanks again!