Can i hear what the other DJ is playing? 2 Laptops, 2 Traktor, 2 Headphones, 2DJs 1 mixer

dritter
dritter Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

We have an event where two DJs play in parallel or one after the other. One plays a few tracks, then the other takes over and so on.

Both have Traktor 3 on the laptop but only one console without two headphone outputs.

Is there a way to link both laptops together so that we both take over the same BPM of the other computer and the most important that we can hear with the headphones of both what the other is playing to mix into each other?

I've searched for it myself but could not find anything on the subject or just searched wrong.

Thanks for every advise you can give me for the problem.

Best Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023 Answer βœ“

You're both listening to the house mix, so just monitor your laptops separately with phones from your own audio interfaces. Then crossfade with your interface volumes. Turning one up , and the other down. Listening to each other would be confusing.

I don't know abou the other part, sounds wacky πŸ˜€

• PZZO
    PZZO Member Posts: 18 Helper
    edited April 2023 Answer βœ“

Regarding the tempo, I think what your describing is a MIDI clock sync signal. Maybe check this article out (the stuff about external sync in particular):

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209590629-How-to-Send-a-MIDI-Clock-Sync-Signal-in-TRAKTOR

Regarding the monitoring, that really depends on if your mixer has two headphone monitors - otherwise you just have to listen to the house mix as someone mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023 Answer βœ“

You're both listening to the house mix, so just monitor your laptops separately with phones from your own audio interfaces. Then crossfade with your interface volumes. Turning one up , and the other down. Listening to each other would be confusing.

I don't know abou the other part, sounds wacky πŸ˜€

• PZZO
    PZZO Member Posts: 18 Helper
    edited April 2023 Answer βœ“

Regarding the tempo, I think what your describing is a MIDI clock sync signal. Maybe check this article out (the stuff about external sync in particular):

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209590629-How-to-Send-a-MIDI-Clock-Sync-Signal-in-TRAKTOR

Regarding the monitoring, that really depends on if your mixer has two headphone monitors - otherwise you just have to listen to the house mix as someone mentioned above.

Hope that helps!