Issue with Komplete 14 and registration

Mark Bowen
Mark Bowen Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hi there,

Sorry not sure if these forums are just user based or if any support comes in here at all? I'm really hoping the latter as in a bit of a bind at the moment.

Last night I purchased Komplete 14 Collector's Edition from a music store online and got the license code sent to me this morning.

I downloaded Native Access and placed the serial number in it and everything went well with me being able to download instruments and what not.

I then noticed a weird email address in the application which isn't mine. I bought the computer from someone and they said they had completely wiped the drive so it was ready for me to go again.

I'm guessing that wasn't so as there were lots of preference files for different instruments and what not in the system files (only found them after I noticed the weird email address).

I got in touch with them and they were apologetic and told me they'd used some throwaway email service to register on the computer as they were just trying things out.

Unfortunately I've found out that the email service they used is one whereby anyone who guesses the name of the email (the part before the @) will be able to view the emails!

I went into the email service and found 4 emails that should have gone to me when I placed the serial number into Native Access!

They gave me the password for the Native Instruments website login and I've gone ahead and changed it but the only problem is that because this is a throwaway email address that anyone could potentially find then anyone could potentially reset the password at will!!

To that end I thought I'd just be able to change the email and password of that account (it is showing all the license codes in it) and that would be that.

Nope!! I changed the email and password and logged out and in again and all the license codes were gone!!

It seems that if you change your email on an account anything that was in there disappears! Not very clever if you ask me!

Luckily logging in and changing the email back to the throwaway email address has brought all the licenses back again however I don't want my software licensed to some random email address and want it licensed to mine.

I tried going to the transfer license section to see if I could use that to de-register the software and then use that on my own actual email address but when I go to the screen with all the license numbers on it they all say Not Transferable.

I've no idea why though I do see mentioned on the NI site in various places if the software is a demo or not for resale item then that will happen though this definitely isn't either of those as I paid near full price for it from a reputable music store.

I've sent an email to NI support asking for help with this but just wondering if anyone had any ideas as they haven't gotten back to me yet and I really needed to get everything installed this weekend if I could.

This has become a right mess from the very beginning due to the (I'm guessing) preference files being left on the computer and automatically logging me into an account that I didn't know about :-(

Therefore if any support staff do monitor these forums then please could they help me with this as soon as possible as I really don't know what to do and don't want just anybody potentially able to find out all the serial numbers to the software!

Thanks for any help anyone can give with this matter.

Mark

Best Answer

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    Answer βœ“

Someone will 100% be in touch via email πŸ™

Answers

• Matt_NI

Our account team will be able to assist on recovering everything. When registered the first time, licenses are not transferable for some time but that mechanism is just for automated license transfer, we'll still be able to move things around to get this sorted.

I can see your licenses registered into the other account and so they are not lost. However, we can't really assist more here as this is something that needs to be dealt with by our account team.

If you have access to the other account like you described, you can still install whatever you want until this gets looked at. When the team moved the licenses, all you'll have to do is log out of Native Access and log-in with the right account.

• Mark Bowen

Also when I go to Native Access all the applications and instruments have an exclamation mark next to them so I have to go to the Reinstall menu in order to get them to install. I'm guessing again that this is due to all the preference files being on the computer already!!?

I'm downloading everything now just so that they're associated with my computer as worried if anyone were to come along the serial numbers in the meantime but I'm thinking I might be best off re-installing the system on the computer and starting again once I've got the email all sorted out. What an absolute mess! :-(

• Mark Bowen

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the reply, massively appreciated to putting my mind at rest!

I really wish I'd gone and wiped the drive myself now and not just trusted that it had been done. It did 'look' fresh however that obviously wasn't the case here!!

I'm just downloading absolutely everything now (going to take a while obviously!!) so you're saying that's okay to do and then when you are able to move the licenses across to my correct email address then I'll just log out of the Native Access app on the computer and back in again with my email address and it'll all be okay? Hope I'm getting that right?

I'm just wondering why when you change your email address in a Native Instruments account all the licenses disappear like that?

What if in the future I wanted to change my email address? Currently I'm using a Gmail address as you can see from my account here however I will be purchasing a proper domain name at some point in the future so will there be any way for me to change the email across in the future or will it still exhibit that problem in that when you change the email address all the licenses disappear?

Thanks,

Mark

• Mark Bowen

Sorry meant to ask if you possibly know when the account team will be able to look at this for me?

Many thanks Matt.

Mark

• Matt_NI

I'm not sure what happened with your account exactly and my tools are limited here to see that but I can see the license you sent the team so I know it's going to be sorted.

The team is in Berlin and so I imagine you'd have to wait after the weekend.

• Mark Bowen

Hi Matt,

Many thanks. As long as I can use it all in the meantime (looks like I can) then that will be fine thanks.

Basically I downloaded Native Access and I'm guessing normally it would ask you to login with an email address however I never got shown that due to preferences still being on the computer drive so it must have automatically logged me in to the account the previous user had on the computer.

I then added the serial number to Native Access (thinking I was under the impression that I was starting from afresh) and everything started to install. It was then when I was looking at the preferences I noticed the weird email address. That's when I found from the previous user that they had used a throwaway address to sign up for some demos or something so they said.

Luckily they gave me the password that goes with that email however I'm obviously a little concerned as anyone typing the email address into that throwaway email provider would be able to get the information too so really want it all moving across before that can possibly happen. I don't think that will probably happen as the email address is a little odd (no idea what it stands for though the previous owner of the computer said he just randomly put the first thing that came into his head in there!) so hopefully nobody will find it.

Will I need to get in touch again next week or will someone contact me?

Many thanks,

Mark

• Matt_NI
    Answer βœ“

Someone will 100% be in touch via email πŸ™

• Mark Bowen

Thank you Matt, very much appreciated. You've put my mind at a lot more rest than it was at this morning when all this happened!!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks again,

Mark