Traktor Pro 3 universal app

Demus
Demus Member Posts: 152 Pro

Rekordbox just released their new updated to the Rekordbox mobile app. Alpha Theta Corporation announces the release of Rekordbox for iOS ver. 4.0. This is what I was trying to have Native Instruments do with the Traktor DJ 2 App. But as I said in other comments. NI choose to go with old code of Traktor Pro 3 rather than the new universal code of Traktor DJ 2

Tagged:

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

No problem on Win, Traktor runs fine on Win tablet like MS Surface Pro. Apple should do its homework and unify all its OSes into one. If MS can do it, Apple should be able to do it as well....

• PZZO
    PZZO Member Posts: 18 Helper
    edited March 2023

I dunno, I don't think it's any different from how Traktor offers DJ and Pro. Rekordbox for iOS still seems like a stripped-down version of Rekordbox for desktop, and they're different right down to their features, workflow, and I bet even codebase. Unlike NI though, Pioneer is actually maintaining their mobile app - which is nice.

Honestly it just seems like a move to sucker Rekordbox users into more monthly subscriptions, so I'm definitely not experiencing any FOMO whatsoever around their v4 launch 😆

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Let's hope all these x86 dependent brands (like NI and Serato) get an Universal app from merging OS as Kubrak points. NI could have done it if roadmaps weren't changing back and forth between abandon TPro first and TDj2 later to back again with TP3 and plus subscription (was planned for TDj2...) but here we are. Once upon a time Traktor was king, now is going to lose third place against Djay Pro.

• Spazoo
    Spazoo Member Posts: 41 Helper
    edited April 2023
  • Kubrak

But not vice versa. And the OSes are not the same. In Winworld one may run the same app on PC/tablet/phone (if there would be Win phone). Be it x86 or ARM. For many years, already....

If only Apple would unify their OSes into one, things for users would be much, much easier. Traktor for Mac would run also on iPad and iPhone. No need to make special app for different Apple HW platforms...

• Mutis
    edited April 2023

Universal apps (and developing tools) have been there since long ago. Traktor dj2 app was universal but NI ditched it because they couldn’t develop it faster enough to hit their roadmaps goals and come back to abandoned Traktor Pro to make few cosmetical updates and call it Traktor Pro 3 (after discontinnuing S5/D2).

Apple will merge OSs but only when the hardware platform become unified aka “Apple Silicon transition end” but that’s not the problem with NI. The problem is the lack of vision translated into non clear roadmaps and coherent developing strategy. Traktor management is specifically painful since all possible mistakes has been done and even it was (rumoured) in the edge to be sold as division (my gut say it will be in the future again). All due hard x86 dependency and bad commercial strategy. If NI had put the proper resources into Traktor it should get something better than Pioneer’s Rekordbox proposal (built over mixvibes). Those who had release stems before them and improved their toy tablet app recently into something more useful than traktor dj apps… years later NI had developed (and buried) 2 tablet apps!

So don’t blame Apple (again) for NI faults. Rekordbox even has an Android app…

Why Algoriddim has all those features (stems, video, dvs…) working across all Apple devices (including macs) but NI can’t deliver an Universal app? Hint: Djay Pro was Universal app since its inception and it hasn’t windows version (yet).

• Kubrak

It is easy, DJ2 was not profitable, so it was put away. The same with iMaschine...

Traktor runs on all Win platforms without any effort from NI. MS did the job. One day maybe Apple will do its homework and Traktor will run also on iPad and iPhone. But licence will cost the same for Mac, iPad and iPhone... That is the difference from DJ2 and iMaschine...

• Mutis

First stem iteration came with S8 and later S5/D2. Since music labels weren’t interested and other software developers never implemented the NI.stem format it become a failure. Users hated jogless approach and never understood that NI jog was the turntable.

NI ditched professional market, discontinnued S5/D2 inmediatly and abandoned Traktor Pro for long time.

Then NI stated working on new Traktor and new hardware with jogs to accomodate user request that become S4/2 mk3 and Traktor dj 2 universal app ready for Apple Silicon transition even before that was a thing. First implementations were retina support, playlist, etc aka long requested issues but pro features were promised but warned as subscription based ot payforenable but then lay off hit NI. Roadmaps were considered, Traktor rumoured on the edge (sale) and lots of incoherence in strategy ending in Traktor Pro 3.

Few make up improvements, opened the audio interface dependency but also stated new controllers will be third party developed (A&H? Pioneer?). Few were implemented like cdj but other not like denon… then Plus subscription arrived alongside merging and soundwide adcquisition… meanwhile Apple Silicon become a PITA…

Profitability? NI lost the professional market and never got bedroom market like Pioneer. Still didn’t get stems on par with any other vendors and isn’t pioneering any field, not windows were VDj and Rekordbox are getting more and more switchers and Serato is the most used software… neither tablet were Djay Pro and now Rekordbox are doing the same.

Traktor only has a die hard fan base that was traited when ditched S8 and never got replacement which got semi-lied when S4mk3 got issues with macOS but also windows… and it’s still struggling!

Profitability? NI killed themselves and they are still trying to come back from the graveyard made by themselves… but beaurecracy, missing deadlines over lazy roadmaps and paid stems subscription over paid licensing is pushing more and more users into competency…

At the old forum and at this new forum we find lots of users asking for standalone, for new hardware, for iPad compatibility, for dpc latency issues…

it works with windows? Neither…

NI needs a miracle.

• Spazoo
    edited April 2023

It doesn't make sense to try and run macOS apps on mobile/tv platforms, unless you are wanting a lousy user experience.

Apple platforms are easy enough, as-is. Precisely why Microsoft is trying to emulate them.

• Kubrak

No problem to run Win app on Win based tablet. Why it would not be technically possible on Apple products?

I have MS Surface, which one may compare to iPad. Traktor runs on it just fine. So, no technical reason Traktor for Mac could not run on iPad. Not being Apple's artificial segmentation of products....

Blame Apple, not NI, that Traktor does not run on iPad/iPhone.... In Winworld it is possible and it works like charm.

• Spazoo

I'm not blaming NI. I'm content with NI supporting current macOS. I have no desire to run Traktor on a phone or tablet. My needs are more professional. MacBook Pro is my preference. Thank you.

• Kubrak

I did not mean it personaly to you. That you blame. I spoke generally....

Traktor would run just fine on iPad with M1/M2 CPU, if iPad had MacOS.... My Win tablet works great with S5 and D2s.

• Mutis

Comparing surface to an iPad is not knowing anythinh about Apple ecosystem.

BTW the topic is about Universal app which in the end, with or without merging, will solve the problem.

Even merging OS the apps will need a dedicated layer adapted to each device and avoid the ****** experience of desktop/laptop designed apps applied to MULTITOUCH iPad interface. Very few desktop/laptop apps are designed with that in mind like Bitwig as example.