DJ setup with only a laptop? Possible?

Options
Bleep
Bleep Member Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hi,

So I’m on a trip and only have my laptop with me and want to play a set on the weekend with a bear bones setup. - I’ve got traktor pro 3 on my laptop but no controller or external audio.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get headphone and master audio with just a MacBook? Maybe hdmi and minijack routing through software? Or somehow using an android or apple phone as an external audio card?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,365 Expert
    Options

If your laptop has a 3.5mm jack out, you can use the "DJ cable" to get two mono signals. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/traktor-for-ios/traktor-dj-cable/

• Bleep
    Options

This will work for headphone pre-listening… interesting… it actually does what I want it to do? I’m a bit skeptical. Can you explain how it works? Surely the same audio would come out of both jacks?

• lord-carlos
    Options

It will NOT send the same signal to both.

It will split each signal, left and right, into the individual outputs.

In your DJ software you just select that you want master (mono) on left, and cue (mono) on the other.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209576269

• Bleep
    edited September 2022
    Options

Aah makes sense.

. Thanks!

• Bleep
    Options

Seems a bit strange that nobody has made an app for using an android phone as a USB audio device… if anyone knows an app that’ll do that, please let me know.

would be good to get stereo, and I have several androids with good DACs.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

And what about to buy small audiointerface with two stereo outputs? NI makes one slightly bigger than two boxes of matches.... Not a big burden to carry it. And there might be even smaller ones on the market.

• Sityi
    Sityi Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Even better if you buy a mini controller like the Hercules Starlight.

• lord-carlos
    Options

Or Xone K:2

You should be able to do 4 channel mixing on that thing :D

• major7
    major7 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Yeah mate, my laptop shorted and now I can't use my supposedly standalone kontrol S8..

• lord-carlos
    Options
    • Who is saying the S8 is standalone?
    • How does it relate to the thread? OP wants to know how to play with only a laptop.
  • Eduardo D'Queiroz
    Eduardo D'Queiroz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

If you want to control Traktor with the Keyboard, I created a complete map for Track Decks A and B. You can control the pitch and pitch bend, turn the Key on and off, activate and change effects 1, 2, 3 of both decks, loops and flux mode. Load the tracks, use the cross fader, and if your keyboard has a numeric keypad like some laptops, you can also use the MXFX

• DJ-MJ
    DJ-MJ Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

The track/channel slider and volume controls aren't active when I do this, nor is the eq's What am I missing?

• lord-carlos
    Options

Sounds like you have "external mixing mode" active. Select internal mixing mode in the settings.