[Physical modeling] Can the Banded Waveguide method be suitable for resonators like…

cs5947
cs5947 Member Posts: 28 Member

Hello. I am experienced in physical modeling synthesis using methods such as digital waveguides, resonant bandpass filters and waveshaping. My ensemble Whirlyrhodes is an emulation of a Wurlitzer electric piano, Whirlyrhodes uses almost exclusively modal. I am taking an interest in Banded Waveguide synthesis, which kind of combines waveguides with band-pass filters.

Banded Waveguides normally emulate resonators such as mallets or instrument bodies, but I’m thinking about using them for smaller, similar resonators, such as struck reeds or tines.

If you don’t know, a Wurlitzer EP works by striking a reed with a felt hammer, muting it with dampers for releases or sustain, translating the vibrations of the reed into an electronic signal using a pickup (which also distorts the signal), doing this like 64 times in parallel and then routing them all to an amplifier.

The reason that I am asking about this is that I want to combine the harmonics of tuned BP filters with the natural overtones of waveguides. But I am skeptical of how this would turn out, so I want to ask if I should look more into the Banded Waveguide technique.

Thanks

Comments