What version do I have?

Gus
Gus Member Posts: 20 Member

A while back I bought NI 11 Ultimate. Yesterday I tried to install a third party accordion and after a lot of trial and error, I discovered that Kontakt 7 is only a demo version. Can someone tell me if this is true? (I thought that "Ultimate" included a player that is at least normal, not demo.)

Best Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    Answer ✓

Well, Kontakt is a Sampler and needed for most of the stuff in Komplete. Kontakt Player is a feature-reduced version of Kontakt - you can read about the differences on the comparison page.

You seem to own Kontakt 5 (Full) and Kontakt 7 Player.

If you want the full version of Kontakt 7, you may want to either buy the Komplete 14 Ultimate Update (to get Kontakt 7 and all the stuff you have missed out) or just buy the Kontakt 7 Update (and leave your Ultimate alone).

• Monochrome
    Answer ✓

No, Komplete itself is a whole bundle full of sampled instruments, synths and sounds. It comes in different flavours (Select, Standard, Ultimate and Collectors Edition) and you can check this page to see what's included in each one.

Some content of it - like instruments (such as the Play Series and/or Session Guitarist ones) - is Kontakt dependent. On the other hand, Expansions - such as Borough Chops - are not meant for Kontakt.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Answer ✓

From the product site...

"This is a Kontakt Player instrument. This means that you do not need to own the full version of NI Kontakt to use it" - Kontakt 5 or Kontakt Player v 5.5 or later

This means it should work with K7 Player or Full version. The "free" Player is for users who don't own Kontakt full version, but have purchased instruments that are a part of Komplete and work in Kontakt.. Such as Abbey Road drums etc.

The free player doesn't act as a working sampler and doesn't come with the factory library.

Clearer?

Answers

• Monochrome
    edited March 2023

Komplete 11 Ultimate is quite old. It originally came with Kontakt 5, not 6 or 7.

Do you own the full version of Kontakt 7 or only the free Player?

Potentially helpful:

• Gus

That's my question, I guess. I might have just the player. To be honest, I thought that Kontakt 7 was the player.

Your answer seems to say that Kontakt is the main software and that Komplete Ultimate is just the added stuff.

• Monochrome
    Answer ✓

Well, Kontakt is a Sampler and needed for most of the stuff in Komplete. Kontakt Player is a feature-reduced version of Kontakt - you can read about the differences on the comparison page.

You seem to own Kontakt 5 (Full) and Kontakt 7 Player.

If you want the full version of Kontakt 7, you may want to either buy the Komplete 14 Ultimate Update (to get Kontakt 7 and all the stuff you have missed out) or just buy the Kontakt 7 Update (and leave your Ultimate alone).

• Gus

So are you saying that any "Ultimate" features are Kontact 7 Player dependent?

• Monochrome
    Answer ✓

No, Komplete itself is a whole bundle full of sampled instruments, synths and sounds. It comes in different flavours (Select, Standard, Ultimate and Collectors Edition) and you can check this page to see what's included in each one.

Some content of it - like instruments (such as the Play Series and/or Session Guitarist ones) - is Kontakt dependent. On the other hand, Expansions - such as Borough Chops - are not meant for Kontakt.

• Gus

Yes, my most recent Komplete is 11u. I have purchased Kontakt 7. To test it, I downloaded the Balinese instruments because they appears among the not-yet-registered instruments on a page that lists my products. Sure enough, when I tried to use it, I got the DEMO treatment.

So I must admit that Kontakt 7's capabilities remain unclear.

• Gus
    edited March 2023

Yes, my most recent Komplete is 11u. I purchased Kontakt 7 independently. To test it, I downloaded the Balinese Gamelan because it appears among a few not-yet-registered instruments on a page that lists my products. Sure enough, when I downloaded it and tried to play it, I got the DEMO treatment.

So I must admit that Kontakt 7's capabilities remain unclear.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Answer ✓

From the product site...

"This is a Kontakt Player instrument. This means that you do not need to own the full version of NI Kontakt to use it" - Kontakt 5 or Kontakt Player v 5.5 or later

This means it should work with K7 Player or Full version. The "free" Player is for users who don't own Kontakt full version, but have purchased instruments that are a part of Komplete and work in Kontakt.. Such as Abbey Road drums etc.

The free player doesn't act as a working sampler and doesn't come with the factory library.

Clearer?

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

If you see DEMO when you load the instrument, and you have Kontakt Player, and you're loading an instrument from a Kontakt Player encoded library, this means you haven't authorized the library in Native Access.

• Gus

Then how does one authorize the library? More to the point, why does NI place them in the lineup but not mark them as items that require further payment, whether you have Kontakt7 or not?