Cannot drag purchased music or AAC Files from Apple Music into Traktor Pro 3

2»

Comments

• Alex Lowen
    Alex Lowen Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi Simon,

Another trick I discovered in regards to this issue is if you use Mixed In Key to analyse the key of the tracks you purchase, you can drag and drop from the Mixed In Key software browser into Traktor without any issues (it's like grabbing it from the finder). The only remaining issue is the cover art which still doesn't get imported. Otherwise yeah, using "show in finder" remains one of the only options. You can also drag/drop files from the spotlight search (cmd+space bar), it essentially acts like taking it from the finder.

Otherwise yeah, issue still remains that we can't drag/drop directly from iTunes anymore.

• Alemedin
    Alemedin Member Posts: 1 Member

Has this bug been fixed? Just upgraded to Catalina after months of resisting it and now I'm finding this problem with some of my tracks. I'm using Traktor Pro 3.8.

• Alex Lowen

Hey Alemedin, still not fixed. I actually stopped buying tracks from the iTunes Store because of this issue. It makes batch imports into trakor unbearable (and actually impossible). Hopefully we will get a fix soon.

• Simon Rolfmore
    Simon Rolfmore Member Posts: 10 Member

Something possibly related that I will warn people about: if you have an iTunes Music (or Apple One etc.) subscription, when you purchase an AAC track from Apple, if you have the Download option in Settings -> Playback: Set to anything but "High Quality (AAC 256 kbps)", i.e. "Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/48kHz)" or "Hi-Res Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/192kHz)", you get DRM-encumbered M4A files downloaded for your purchases.

This caught me out quite badly when it happened. If it happens, to you, reset the Download quality to "High Quality (AAC 256 kbps)", delete your local files, and re-download them. The attached screenshot shows the correct settings to make sure your purchased music shows up in a DRM-free format that Traktor can use.

• Alex Lowen

@Simon Rolfmore I think you've put your finger on something here. That download format option menu in the playback settings on the iTunes app is no longer available on the new and renamed "Music App" on later Mac OS (see attached screenshot). I'm on Monterey on a M1 Mac and that option is no longer a thing. Perhaps the fact that we can't change that setting anymore might be the issue. Apple might be setting it to some sort of default that automatically includes DRM-encumbered AACs.

• Simon Rolfmore

Hmm, that's weird @Alex Lowen - the v1.3.3.2 Music app in my Ventura install (macOS 13.2.1 currently, about to be updated to 13.3) includes settings for lossless/Atmos/etc. I don't believe there's any reason not to upgrade to Ventura at this point, as NI provided their official blessing with Traktor 3.7.2 (iirc).

I wonder if the "older" Music app misses those settings out (perhaps due to the OS not supporting Atmos?) and has a bad/dumb default for DJ use.

I have to admit, I'm generally trying to purchase as much music as possible from Bandcamp, JunoDownload etc. these days so I get the best possible quality for playing out and don't get into this situation if Apple silently reverse the setting on me.

• Simon Rolfmore

Quick update: macOS Ventura 13.3 with Music app 1.3.4.56 still shows the download settings to enable non-DRM AAC files. Really not sure why they're missing for some people 😕

• Simon Rolfmore

Just had a small brainwave: if I'm signed out of my iTunes account, I get a very similar playback settings dialog to the one that @Alex Lowen is seeing:

I now wonder if there's something iTunes is doing for certain types of users.

For what it's worth, although I'm in now Portugal I have a UK iTunes account, and I subscribe to Apple One (which gets me iTunes Music).

• Alex Lowen

Hey Simon, cheers for the update. I'm running Monterey and for whatever reason even when signed in I don't get those extra settings to show up. I don't have any active subscriptions though. I'm on the French iTunes Store. Holding back from updating to Ventura as it messes with some of my production softwares but that might actually be the fix to this.