Prime Bass - Can't trigger slide/legato with FL studio notes editing

Konoko
Konoko Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello, I'm new to the Session series and can't find how to trigger note slide with Prime Bass (Melody mode).

Based on the manual, slide can be triggered when a new note is being played with velocity greater than 110. Holding down B1 can also trigger slide while playing melody.

So what I tried was setting the second note which I want to slide to with velocity above 120, overlapped shortly to the previous note. (see PrimeBass_01.jpg) Also added a B1 note below in order to trigger the slide mode. (see PrimeBass_02.jpg) But none of the methods seems to work.

Not sure if I missed any setup, or the real instrument doesn't support the slide between the notes I want ? I uploaded images and videos for more details of the setup and result.

Tagged:

Comments

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Try it in "Open" articulation, and with "poly" (not mono)

• Konoko

>>Try it in "Open" articulation, and with "poly" (not mono)

Thanks for the reply - just tried, still the same result. I tried the way to trigger "hammer on" based on the manual (new note velocity much lower than previous one), it's not the effect I expect but gives a somewhat smoother transition.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Are you sure that both your starting & ending notes are of sufficient duration to allow the slide to transition in the tempo?

I've found that if they are too short, it doesn't work well.

• Konoko

>>Are you sure that both your starting & ending notes are of sufficient duration to allow the slide to transition in the tempo?

Yes, just not tried with whole note length, still the same.

I could achieve this with Shreddage series, where I just need to add articulation notes on the bottom and slides will happen. I thought this should work somehow similar, based on the manual.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

There is also the Phrase/One Pitch setting. You're set to 'phrase', try 'One PItch'. Not sure if that only applies to patterns, but it's worth a try.

edit: ahhh... nvmd. 😊

In this video he's sliding and its set to 'One Pitch', but he's not using any keyswitch that I can tell. Maybe sustain like Scarbee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejUMFSl2do

• Konoko

>>There is also the Phrase/One Pitch setting. You're set to 'phrase', try 'One PItch'.

Thanks, tried but also doesn't work.

• Gee_Flat

Yeah, think it's for applying melodies to patterns. Oh well, I don't own it so I just took a guess.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

OK so this is nothing like Scarbee. Those keyswitches slide without playing anything. Now I get it.

I think the interval you were trying is too small to get the slide effect. Nothing can touch Scarbee Pre-Bass. Sounds way better than this bass imo.

People get annoyed when I create these discussions, but they're helpful for others seeking answers. Sorry if I am annoying. 😂 Not!

This video starting at 20:40 gives a good demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvXiZ-D6IRI

• Konoko

Thanks a lot for the info and the suggestion @Gee_Flat , just tried SCARBEE MM-BASS, this one indeed does an auto hammer on without any articulation (looked at the instrument status, when notes overlap it actually shows "hammer on". I just really like the sound of Prime Bass and this is what Scarbee doesn't have. Guess I'll just live with hammer on.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

Never a fan of the Music Man in real life.

Pre-Bass and Pre-Bass Amped were the first from Scarbye 14 years ago. Prime is a pattern based gimmick aimed at non-players, and not in the same league sound wise.