maschine SW piano roll (hear a note on the piano roll!)

henriquedib
henriquedib Member Posts: 18 Member

Hi all, is there a way to simply hear a note on the piano roll when we simply click on it with the mouse? This is such a basic thing for midi editing but I can't find a way to do it! Please help.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

No, unfortunately, there's no note preview on Maschine when dragging notes around or clicking them. Pretty standard behavior to have in any DAW. :(

This has been asked many, many times over the years.

Answers

• ssickels
    ssickels Member Posts: 7 Member

When running Maschine 2 in standalone mode, if I click on any of the keys, I hear the note. (I captured this screenshot while mouse-clicking on the orange note.). Is that what you're looking for?

If I double-click out out to the right, it places a note, but I don't hear it playing while I do. (This is different from the behavior I've seen in Logic Pro, where you hear a note when you place it.)

Does that help?

• henriquedib

Hi ssickels, thanks for your answer...

I know that if you click on any note on the keyboard (as per your first pic) you can hear that note. All good in there.

What I want is to hear the note once it is already placed on the right (like in your second pic). specially when we move it up and down...I just want to be able to hear it while we move it, just like in Logic pro.

Is there a way to do it?

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited March 2023

I know exactly what you mean!

I was putting notes on the Maschine grid for the first time yesterday (I usually use my KK keyboard), and I was wishing it had exactly that behavior. I see musicians do it on YouTube and it's really fabulous because you can hear the note as they're moving it up and down the grid and it makes it much easier to find the right pitch you're looking for.

So add me to the list of people who'd love to figure out how to do that. 👍

• henriquedib

Hey Peter, don't worry, if I learn something, I will share it here with you.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

No, unfortunately, there's no note preview on Maschine when dragging notes around or clicking them. Pretty standard behavior to have in any DAW. :(

This has been asked many, many times over the years.

• henriquedib

Hey D-one thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, that is what I was expecting to hear and you just confirmed that. I am an experienced logic user and just recently bought my Maschine MK3. I really like the Maschine SW/HW integration and workflow...but boy...not being able to simply hear a note on the piano roll while we move it up and down? Come on NI, add this basic feature to the SW!

• jacqui brookes
    jacqui brookes Member Posts: 40 Member

Agree also, it is so useful also for corrections, please, and thank you

• klancyk
    klancyk Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2023

Native Instruments Team - could you PLEASE add the note preview to Maschine Piano Roll? Is it so difficult to implement?