Komplete Kontrol s49 mk2 randomly crashing NIHostIntegrationAgent?

Skulld@ncer
Skulld@ncer Member Posts: 7 Member

About 6-7 months ago I purchased the Komplete Kontrol s49 mk2 keyboard. At first I was using Windows 10 and didn't have any issues. I then upgraded to Windows 11 Home edition and now my s49 only works intermittently. The problem is totally random occurrences of the NIHostIntegrationAgent crashing. Sometimes the s49 works all day and other times it works for a couple of minutes before freezing. I can still play whatever instrument I was in when it froze on, but can no longer use any of the controls or knobs. If I turn the keyboard off and on, it then gets stuck on the loading screen. The only way I can get it to work is to use the Native Instruments uninstall reg tool to uninstall NIHostIntegrationAgent, then reinstall Komplete Kontrol software, then run a registry cleaner and restart. Then I'm back to it may work for a day/hour... It happens in both Ableton and the stand alone Komplete Kontrol software.

I've tried everything that is on the Native Instrument Knowledge base, tried everything that the help guys told me to do and have even reinstalled my entire operating system (took 3 days to reinstall all of my software... the keyboard worked for a week then...). I've tried different cables and plugged it straight into my device but to no avail. I'm so frustrated at this point that it is totally interfering with my ability to produce any music. It's such an awesome keyboard... when it works. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• BenSpepper
    BenSpepper Member Posts: 3 Member
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Do you use a VPN?

I got some issue with the NIHostIntegrationAgent. After long search and NI support, I found that was the VPN who crashed the app.

If I want to use Komplete Kontrol, I have to disable my VPN, power "On" my keyboard, as soon as I hear the USB sound detected from windows, I enable the VPN.

No more problem with NIHostIntegrationAgent since I use that tips.

Hope it can help you.

Sorry about my english.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Skulld@ncer You mention using a registry cleaner, do you still use this, even after the reinstall of your system? These apps can cause similar issues that the one you mention and sometimes the only solution is to reinstall the operating system: Notes on Using Registry or Property List Cleaning Utilities Have you tried uninstalling these registry apps and reinstalling Komplete Kontrol?

• Skulld@ncer
    edited March 2023

Thanks for the tip and for your response. I'm currently using "Restoro" to clean my registry. Will delete this and reinstall Komplete Kontrol to see if this helps. Will let you know the outcome. I'm dreading having to do a system reinstall.

Just an update - uninstalled the registry cleaner and performed a DISM clean and sfc /scannow but I'm still getting the problem

• Jeremy_NI

I see that you had contacted support about the issue in the past and they mentioned Bitdefender, are you still using an antivirus and if you are, did you whitelist the NiHostIntegrationAgent?

• Skulld@ncer

Thanks for sticking with me. I had a help desk ticket but have been looking for a new place to live, and only have recently moved so have been unable to use my device. No I've uninstalled BitDefender as well.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 850 Guru
    edited March 2023

I noticed that you mentioned an "upgrade" to Win 11.

If this was done "in-place" - where you allowed Windows to upgrade over top of itself - you can almost been guaranteed that nagging issues will crop up (and in some cases) stay - like forever.

This scenario would likely never be tested by NI and since everyone's Win 10 install is/was unique - you have no idea what will happen to drivers, residual files etc in the case of a major upgrade.

There certainly sounds like there is an obscure issue here - but finding it might take you longer than just starting over.

The only way to really be sure in this case - is a clean house. As in - install Win 11 clean, install all the NI hardware bits clean and there is a very high likely of success.

That said - in terms of an actual mature, stable working environment - I would also ask "why Win 11" when Win 10 was just fine?

There is no requirement from a DAW perspective to "need" Win 11 at this time.

VP

• Skulld@ncer

@Vocalpoint thanks for your response, I really appreciate the help. I upgraded to Windows 11, as my hard disk had developed issues and my PC was still under warranty, so it was replaced. I'm a web developer in my 'grown up' time, so I need to stay up to date with the latest in developer environments, and as it was a fresh hard drive, so I got a fresh install of Windows 11. When the problem started surfacing I did a 'clean' install as well but this only stopped the problem for a few days.

The weird thing if I turn on my s49 keyboard, even without any software running, it will also randomly crash NiHostIntegrationAgent. I'm very frustrated at this point as it basically makes my s49 unusable and I have to spend hours trouble shooting/reinstalling. I'm dreading doing a fresh install again as last time it took me 3 days to download/reinstall all my software (I have Maschine 2 and Komplete 11 so the libraries for these as you probably know are huge)...

• Skulld@ncer

OK. It gets weirder now. Just an update: I tried something from leftfield. As I went back through my memories of the months that I've been having this issue and all the things that I've tried, I thought, hang on this didn't start until I had Maschine Mk2 connected to my setup (not long after I had purchased and taught my self how to use the s49 Mk2). So just as a test, I've uninstalled the Maschine 2 software (just the application) and viola! My keyboard has been working for 2 days straight without crashing NiHostIntegrationAgent!

The weird thing is haven't had the hardware connected for months so I had ruled that out, but it seems there may be a conflict between Komplete Kontrol s49 mk2 and sharing the resource of NiHostIntegrationAgent with Maschine 2 application software on Windows 11???!! I hadn't been able to get the s49 working since I uninstalled the registry editor, until I uninstalled Maschine 2. I would turn it on and within 2 minutes it would crash the NiHostIntegrationAgent. Is this just a coincidence?

The good news: my keyboard is stable and working again (for the moment). The bad news: I can't use my Maschine Mk2 hardware or software.

Thoughts anyone?

• Jeremy_NI

@Skulld@ncer That's weird indeed. What if you reinstall the Maschine software now?

• BenSpepper
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Do you use a VPN?

I got some issue with the NIHostIntegrationAgent. After long search and NI support, I found that was the VPN who crashed the app.

If I want to use Komplete Kontrol, I have to disable my VPN, power "On" my keyboard, as soon as I hear the USB sound detected from windows, I enable the VPN.

No more problem with NIHostIntegrationAgent since I use that tips.

Hope it can help you.

Sorry about my english.

• Skulld@ncer

@BenSpepper thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate every little option I can try. I do use a VPN, so it's something extra I can try if my keyboard stops working again. So far so good but I'll have to try @Jeremy_NI suggestion of installing Maschine 2 to see if there is a conflict as well. @Jeremy_NI I have noticed that a Maschine 2 screen did appear occasionally in my s49 screen before a couple of the keyboards freezes so I'm not sure if that's indicative of a conflict? Will reinstall Maschine 2 and keep you updated. Fingers crossed!

p.s. @BenSpepper your English is great!

• BenSpepper

Thanks, you're welcome.

Hoping, you can solve your issues quickly.

I add my fingers to your crossed fingers.🙂

Have a nice day.

• Jeremy_NI

Also adding mine! 🤞

• Skulld@ncer

Just a quick update and thanks to all who left comments. It appears my s49 is now stable and the problem appears to have been my VPN. A special thanks to @BenSpepper as it appears that his advice has helped wonders. I've reinstalled Maschine also, and all is working well!!

p.s. Hope this post doesn't jinx it ;)

• BenSpepper

Hi,

Happy to read that you succeed to solve your crashes issues. I was happy to discover and solve that issue with the VPN.

Now, I wish you some nice musicals creation times.

Have a nice day.