Problems loading instruments on Kontakt Player in Linux

mdiemer
mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member
edited February 2022 in Kontakt

I am having problems loading instruments on the KP in Linux. I successfully installed it using wine, and also I have Native Access installed. I was able to add Cinematic Strings to the KP, as it shows up in the Library tab. But I cannot figure out how to load an instrument. nothing shows up in the Instruments tab.

what am I doing wrong? I seem to recall I had a similar problem even when using Windows. The library shows up, but not the instruments.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• mdiemer
    Answer ✓

(Solved) it by loading a default multi of Cinematic Strings I had made on Windows. Just had to browse for the folder and it loaded and is working fine in Linux. GUI rendered perfectly as well. I used LinVst to convert the Kontakt Player to an .so file, so Linux could open it.

Answers

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited February 2022

Using Kontakt on Linux is not officially supported (unless it's in Maschine+, but that's a closed system).

• mdiemer

Okay, fair enough. You have enough to do without getting into Linux.

Is there anyone else who might have some info on this?

• mdiemer
    Answer ✓

(Solved) it by loading a default multi of Cinematic Strings I had made on Windows. Just had to browse for the folder and it loaded and is working fine in Linux. GUI rendered perfectly as well. I used LinVst to convert the Kontakt Player to an .so file, so Linux could open it.

• bob
    bob Member Posts: 16 Member

check https://www.playonlinux.com for windows audio stuff

• mdiemer

Thanks for the tip Bob, I will check it out. I used P.O.L. to install the KP, as well as GPO4. Works great. Maybe I'll find some good stuff there which will help me when I try to install my East-West and Vienna libraries. Assuming I get up enough courage to do so! Not sure how far I want to push this. Since Cinematic Strings works on the KP, I could also buy their Cinematic Woodwinds and Brass, and have a complete quality library working on Linux. I could just use GPO for percussion.

• mdiemer
    edited March 2022

Update: I purchased Kontakt, and was able to install the Factory Library. It took some doing, involving a manual install from the downloaded iso file, which has to be mounted to un-hide something necessary for install or activation. Then I had to grab the serial number from NA on my Windows drive, and put it in the NA on my Linux drive. That activated it. I then ran the install button again on NA, and it completed in seconds.

Anyway, to my delight, it contains the VSL library, very similar to what I use on Windows, namely the Special Edition. So I now have Vienna sounds on Linux, along with GPO and Cinematic Strings. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is East West. But that may come in time.

• GoaSkin
    GoaSkin Member Posts: 26 Member

I updated to Komplete 14 a few days ago and Kontakt 7 is quite usable.

However, if I click the library icon, no content is presented to me but if I click the button with the two rectangles in the same row twice, I get all Kontakt instruments listed including it's presets.

Furthermore, there are two "cosmetic" bugs if you run it on linux:

1.) Some fonts appear over-anti-aliased.

2.) In the settings dialog, the mouse cursor and the click position are displaced.