Compatibility of older NI plugins with latest macOS Ventura

TheCrow74
TheCrow74 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2023 in Komplete General

Hello community,

My current setup is a Mac Mini Intel running macOS Mojave. While it still runs fine, I'm noticing that some current software does not support my version of macOS anymore. So I'm looking at upgrading my macOS.

I would like to know if people here have experience with running one of the following older Native Instruments plugins with macOS Ventura:

• Guitar Rig Pro 5
  • Absynth 5
  • Molekular

Best regards,

Theo

Best Answer

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Worth noting that Guitar Rig Pro 5 - and especially Absynth 5 - are discontinued software. They are, as already mentioned by ini4, not officially supported (i.e. haven't been tested by NI), but could still run fine. It's basically "use at your own risk".

Molekular is for Reaktor and at least Reaktor 6 isn't Ventura compatible at the time of this writing. (Then again, Reaktor 5 shares the same faith as the other older apps).

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023
  • ini4
    ini4 Member Posts: 24 Helper
    edited March 2023

Obviously, I can't recommend that is will work for you since it is not officially supported, but I am able to use Absynth 5 on an M1 Mac on macOS Ventura in Logic Pro X. I have not had any problems running the plugin inside Logic, but it is not an option in Komplete Kontrol. I haven't tried Molekular.

Keep in mind, I've only tried the AudioUnit plugin.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Worth noting that Guitar Rig Pro 5 - and especially Absynth 5 - are discontinued software. They are, as already mentioned by ini4, not officially supported (i.e. haven't been tested by NI), but could still run fine. It's basically "use at your own risk".

Molekular is for Reaktor and at least Reaktor 6 isn't Ventura compatible at the time of this writing. (Then again, Reaktor 5 shares the same faith as the other older apps).

• TheCrow74
    TheCrow74 Member Posts: 3 Member

Thank you for the comments!

I can upgrade to Guitar Rig 6, which will be a bit painful porting my presets.

Absynth 5 I could eventually live without. I have avoided making new music with that plugin after I read it was distontinued.

As for the Molekular effect: that will be really painful when I will lose that one, since I use it a lot. Specifically the Vokoder effect that is part of that plugin. I am already looking for an alternative plugin for that.

The Vokoder effect in Molekular is kind of a multivoicer that adds two pitches to your sound. You can set the key, the pitch of the added note, and the interval of the second added note.

If anyone has an idea for a plugin that can do something like that, I’d be very happy.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod
    edited March 2023

@TheCrow74 As @Monochrome said here, I would jsut add:

I assume you have an Intel Mac, Guitar RIg 5 should work fine, even though not officially supported on Ventura. Installing it from scratch would be a different story. Absynth 5 should also work in the same way. It would not just work on a M1 Mac in native mode (and will never work there). Molekular is a Reaktor effect, Reaktor 6 should also run on Ventura, even if not officially supported yet. Reaktor 6 will be updated soon to support both M1/Apple Silicon and MacOs Ventura.

Also worth mentioning, you're not obliged to update your Mac to the latest OS, you should be able to update to Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey.

• David Polich
    David Polich Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Absynth 5 works fine in Ventura on my Intel Mac (2019 Mac Pro 7.1). And will probably work fine in Sonoma on my Mac Pro as well. Which is one of the reasons I will never get rid of my Mac Pro..

I have an M1 MacBook Pro running Sonoma, but it isn't my main music production machine, so no need for my NI products on it.

I still use Absynth 5..a LOT, actually. It's a unique synth, nothing else sounds like it, nothing else has all the features it has. Plasmonic, developed by Brian Clevinger (Absynth's creator) is great and sort of "Absynth-ish" but it still isn't Absynth.