Map an external midi controller to a macro in Maschine Plus standalone

anzbert
anzbert Member Posts: 39 Helper

How can I map an external midi controller to a macro in Maschine Plus standalone?

Is there a way to do that?

Thx a lot for helping :)

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @anzbert It's not possible to assign external MIDI CCs on the Maschine Plus itself, there is no MIDI learn function and there are no fixed CCs. What could work is to port your project to the Maschine software on your computer, MIDI learn the macro with your external device. Save the project and open it in Maschine Plus, the assignment should still be there. It's not guaranteed to work as these functions were not implemented in the first place but some have been successful with this method. I hope that it helps.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @anzbert It's not possible to assign external MIDI CCs on the Maschine Plus itself, there is no MIDI learn function and there are no fixed CCs. What could work is to port your project to the Maschine software on your computer, MIDI learn the macro with your external device. Save the project and open it in Maschine Plus, the assignment should still be there. It's not guaranteed to work as these functions were not implemented in the first place but some have been successful with this method. I hope that it helps.

• anzbert
    anzbert Member Posts: 39 Helper

Bummer.... I'll try that, but hopefully this will be implemented in a future version. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Styles01
    Styles01 Member Posts: 26 Member

@Jeremy_NI - can you walk us through this flow? I have tried it with an external midi controller and it doesn't work cause you can't keep a device like a Massive synth (which loads as a VST in PC mode) without having to blow it away when you load the project on M+ standalone.

• Jeremy_NI

@Styles01 I'm not sure to understand what you mean by Massive blowing away. Could you explain what you mean by that? Are you sure you're using the VST version of Massive on your PC in the Maschine desktop software? Make sure you are not using the VST3 version, as VST3 is not supported on Maschine Plus. Or maybe you could try with an instrument that doesn't "blow away"

• Styles01
    Styles01 Member Posts: 26 Member

@Jeremy_NI thanks, that's why I asked to be walked through the flow. What I mean is that Massive does not persist when you load it from desktop mode and then save, and try to load it in standalone mode. When you load it in standalone mode it says "cannot load Massive VST" - so you have to go and find that same sound (I was using some melodic pad sound in the FM sub-bank) and reload it in standalone. When you do that, it wipes out your mappings.

I don't know which "VST" version of Massive I have or am using. I just install Massive via Native Access and then search through instruments via Maschine and it says Massive and loads Massive. It's not obvious how/what it's loading.

So, being able to know what is the best flow to be able to load a melodic instrument (that's supported in Maschine Plus standalone) so I can save the project with the mappings in desktop mode and load them up in standalone mode would be very helpful. How are we even supposed to know which instruments are supported and will persist in standalone mode and which aren't?

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @Styles01 Yes, it's not obvious what you load, but as a Maschine Plus user who wants to share projects between his Plus and Desktop Maschine software it's really important to check that. I made a small gif to show you how to check what version is loaded in the Maschine software:

VST3 will be laoded by default. You can untick the VST3 plug-ins for all the plug-ins you want to use on M+ and on your desktop in this location and hit rescan:

This way the Maschine software on your computer will only load the VST version compatible with Maschine Plus. You can also delete the VST3 file directly from this folder:

On PC: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

On Mac: Mac HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > VST3

• edverb
    edverb Member Posts: 1 Member

I realize this is an old thread but I have a related question -- is there any easy way to map the transport (record/play/stop) in standalone mode? It would be easier to punch in and out of some loops with both hands on my midi keyboard, which also has record/play/stop buttons.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 586 Guru

Use the footswitch inputs on the M+, they are made exactly for this purpose! Footswitch configuration can be found in the settings menu

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 129 Helper

I can trigger Scenes and Lock States with Nektar P1 but I can play every Pad separately ( to trigger notes ) I just route on my Nektar to specific MIDI Channel from 2 to 16 , I use 1 Chanel for changing Lock States or Scenes so I see that it's possible to some extent and because it's about Generic MIDI mode it's about us to try and explore.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert
    edited March 9

It’s not even necessary to change midi channel for every pad.

If under Group/Input/Midi/Key Mode you select Drumkit instead of Manual or Off the pads will play all the sounds (opposed to them playing the selected sound chromatically)