Komplete 14 standard upgrade with ext hard drive

Shadowlife
Shadowlife Member Posts: 33 Member

Hello everyone, I just bought komplete 14 standard upgrade from komplete 13. I would like to install everything from the upgrade into my external hard drive, of course komplete 13 has it's own hard drive, so I don't have to worry about that. I would like to make sure I'm doing everything right before I install the upgrade. I will probably install everything from the upgrade here and there, instead of doing everything at once. So, when I choose to install a plugin it should ask me where to install, correct ? Would that be it ? Or are there other things I have to do ? I've watched a couple of videos on this, but they weren't too specific. If anything can clarify this process it would be great. I know this very simple, but I'd like to make sure first. Thanks and have a great day !

Best Answer

• Shadowlife
    Answer ✓

Hey guys, just wanted to get back to all of you on how I made out. NI support did get back to me and said that they highly recommend installing everything to the internal drive (C) and also said there would be no issues if the kontakt factory libraries are installed to an EHD to save space. I guess that there are still issues with kontakt 7 plugin files getting confused with projects in kontakt 6, as user GeeFlat suggested.

Btw, please forgive my inexperience with plugins and stuff, I can see some of my posts were probably very confusing to you guys.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

The only thing I can recommend from experience and everything I've read is concerning Kontakt 7 plugin files. All projects with K6 might be confused. You can still install 7 without allowing your DAW to install the plugin, but it might override K6 in Komplete Kontrol software, if you use it.

If I'm wrong and v 7.1.8 has addressed this, I hope someone steps in and corrects me, and offers some better assistance.

• Shadowlife

Hi, thanks for the info, It figures it couldn't be simple. I definitely don't want it to override k6 in kk software. I'll have to hit up ni to know for sure, unless someone else on this forum knows. I'm dying to use it, but I don't want to have to do everything all over again if I'm not sure. 👍

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    edited March 2023

So you have Komplete 13 content already installed (on an internal HDD) and now you want to install additional K14 content on a different (external) HDD?

It can be done, personally I would suggest everything is installed in a single location just for convenience.

Things like plugin files will install automatically to the default C:\Program Files location and this is where you want the applications to install, you can change that but it is highly recommended not to for simplicity reasons.

Content (libraries, presets etc.) can all be set to install where you like. You can change this in Native Access in the preferences:

If you have stuff installed already, that is fine, just change this location before installing new stuff and the content will now ibe installed in the new location. That's it!

If you want to move your existing stuff, you can just move the existing folder then in NA, for each product you then need to select the ... button to the right of a product and select "Locate" to re-marry it again. There is no move or "Locate All" so it has to be done 1 at a time.

• Shadowlife
    edited March 2023

Hi, well I have komplete 13 on its own dedicated hd that it came with, so I figured to save space, to only install the products that are new from k14 standard onto the external hd. So, you might be saying that's not such a convenient way ? I'm open to any suggestions If I'm going the wrong route. I initially thought it was a good idea because I have 6 GB of ram left on my PC. BTW, I know the ni specs says that k14 needs 4 GB and to have 6 available, but it think it might be stating that for the whole k14 install I'm not sure how much space it would use just for my specific upgrade, if that makes sense. Thanks

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

@Shadowlife There seems to be some confusion here. RAM is not storage space.

What Is RAM? | Random Access Memory Definition - Avast

If you have a Komplete 13 hard drive installer, please note it's only an installer and you can't use it to store your libraries, you'll have to use your external hard drive.

• Shadowlife

Sorry, got confused with the ram, and yes I do know I have to use an external hard drive, that's what I posted for, because I would like to use it to store everything that komplete 14 has to save some space. That's why I bought the ehd in the first place, but Im trying to find out for sure that I can in install everything there, or will it interfere with studio one, and kontakt 6 as another user posted on this subject.

Thank you

• Shadowlife
    Answer ✓

Hey guys, just wanted to get back to all of you on how I made out. NI support did get back to me and said that they highly recommend installing everything to the internal drive (C) and also said there would be no issues if the kontakt factory libraries are installed to an EHD to save space. I guess that there are still issues with kontakt 7 plugin files getting confused with projects in kontakt 6, as user GeeFlat suggested.

Btw, please forgive my inexperience with plugins and stuff, I can see some of my posts were probably very confusing to you guys.

Thanks for all of your advice.