Session guitar problems

Squeezebox
Squeezebox Member Posts: 29 Member

I have some multiple problems with NI session guitars patterns. I am using electric vintage pattern mode for this example, but the problem is on all my NI Session guitars I am using Ableton Live DAW and Launchkey MIDI controllers.

I recorded into an 8 bar MIDI clip. I changed the launch switch keys 4 times. That is 2 bars for each pattern. 

Problem # 1; when I stop the playback and start up again from the very beginning, the patterns start playing where I stopped the playback and not from the first session guitar pattern in the clip. So I reset my DAW to start up from the beginning of the 8 bar clip, and it does, but the session guitar patterns starts up from the key switch that was playing when I stopped playback

Problem # 2; When I add a second MIDI clip into the same track to start a chorus part or bridge part and record a different set of patterns, the original verse patterns I had already recorded (see problem # 1) All those MIDI clips play the patterns I recorded into the new clips.

It's like the currently chosen key switch acts as a global switch that changes my previously recorded clips and patterns. Even though both problems are different they seem to be connected somehow.

Is anyone else having this problem(s)? and has anyone found a fix?

Thank you

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

I'm 99% sure there is an answer to this question somewhere in the forum. Something to do with not having a reference to the NOTE/KEY at the point at where you stop.

• Squeezebox

I'll try to find it. Thanks

• Gee_Flat

So this link I gave from the 'best answer' in that thread didn't cover your first problem?

"If you do change patterns over the course of the song you have to remember there's only one pattern in use at a time. If you have a pattern set later in the track and then reposition the playback to a section that's earlier, you'll still have the same pattern set from the previous section. Again the fix for this is to apply the pattern note across the entire span of where that pattern will be played" @DunedinDragon

My guess is when you go back to start, the keyswitch is placed slightly before the start of the bar, and therefore plays the last active pattern/keyswitch.

Also, 'VST Expressions' work great for this because they assure the articulation/keyswitch is the one that is active no matter where you place the play head.

• Squeezebox

That's the piece I read. I don't understand some of it but i think it's getting to the problem. By applying the pattern note across the entire span of where that pattern will be played" does that mean making the pattern note as many bars as the pattern you want? I noticed that mt pattern note in my piece was only like a quarter note long. I will try to re-do this. Also what is VST expressions? And thanks again you've already helped me on another topic last week.

• Squeezebox

TY Gee_Flat. Extending the Pattern note, actually holding it down through the whole 2 bars worked! I can now stop playback and when I restart The pattern resets from the beginning. Sure helps with work flow. Now I'll if that helps with my second problem.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

In general it's often the best practice. I thought the problem was more Session Guitarist specific, or I would have suggested it in the first place. The same should apply to #2.

Expressions are more complicated to set up but they provide controller lanes that can be named, rather than dealing with notes on the editor/piano roll grid.

I think it requires a patch for Abelton.

• Squeezebox

Problem #2 is solved with the same fix. TY once again.