Strange behaviour of my s49 Keyboard big encoder knob!

abritabroad
abritabroad Member Posts: 33 Member
edited March 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

When I "press browse" it does not bring up my library as usual. It brings up a kind of browser on my 8 encoder knows as in image attached.

I thought I could reset things to "factory settings" in controller editor but I am baffled. It appears Imy keyboard defaults to some kind of user preset or something when I press browse. When I turn the Big Encoder knob it just affects this sub menu (in white)

I do hope this makes sense. Just want my software and Controller to work as before. Pics are in Standalone but it is the same in the vst in Live 11 btw

thanks so much for reading!!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

I see you are now in contact with one of my colleagues. I've added the info you put in this thread to the ticket!

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

You have changed this option in preferences:

• abritabroad

Unfortunately that menu box is greyed out :( O my S49 it says "see software" I habe a Mk1 btw

• abritabroad

Here is a screenshot of greyed out dialogue box

• JesterMgee

Are you looking in the standalone software? Not sure it can be changed from the VST plug-in.

• abritabroad

Standalone. Quite baffling but if you don;t know no one will! I thought I might have changed something in controller editor but cannot see anything there. AS an aside I noticed on another post of yours that being able to browse on the computer screen is not available in mk 2 or later. Is this true? I was going to get a newer keyboard but I would have difficulty reading those small screens. I mean "press browse" and the library shows up nice and big on the screen. That is very important to me..as you can tell!! thanks again mate!!

• JesterMgee

I have both an MK1 and MK2 keyboard, the screenshot I posted above is from my MK1 keyboard and the option is showing fine. From your screenshot the option is set to Hardware which is why the browser appears (quite uselessly) on that scribble strip. No idea why that option would be greyed out, I'm on Windows 11 and is not an issue here.

Yes the MK2 no longer offers that OSD browser as an option since it has the screens you are expected to just browse on them. The screens are actually pretty easy to read, if you can use a phone you have no problems browsing on the screens and the way the browsing via the controls work is pretty intuitive so I like it more than the OSD browser option TBH. The MK2 is also missing the option to switch off the LEDs if you dont want to use them, but the extra info on the screens and the better DAW integration is handy.

• abritabroad

Hey thanks mate for the info.My eyes are so bad I have not driven a car since 1979. Retinas are all scar tissue anyway the mk 2 would not work for me as I use assistive software to able to use a computer..makes things REALLY BIG!! No complaints at all some people see nothing and still can use ableton! I have Windows 10 on that computer. A bit nervous to change to windows 11. The only thing on that computer is Ableton and all libraries are on a separate drive.

If you have a brainwave and any future thought on how to get the "On screen overlay" happening let me know. I have the latest KK software but no on screendisplay for me at the moment.

Things have come a long way from the late 60;s when I was recording in London for CBS on four track ampex machines, still get royalties from those days!!😀

Again thank you so much for all your help.....

• JesterMgee

Yep, things have cvertainly come a long way since then... hell things have come a long way since I got into music at the start of hte 90s.

Wish I had a solution, I cannot think of any reason that option would not be available especially if there is no DAW open or anything. The only way to change that option is via Komplete Kontrol, no way to do it that I know from the hardware. I'd say to check there is no firmware update available for the keyboard but dont think an update has been issues in 6 years now for the MK1. Just need to find out what could make that option greyed out, for keyboards that do not support it it's just not even listed.

• abritabroad

Thanks so much. Of course if I bump into something I will report back. Thanks everything!!

• Jeremy_NI

@abritabroad What version of the Komplete Kontrol software are you using? What's your operating system?

• abritabroad

Hi Jeremy Thanks for being her! Windows 11 and KK 2.8.1. (RO)

• abritabroad

Hey Jeremy any ideas for me???

• Jeremy_NI

@abritabroad I'm contacting you by email regarding this issue and will forward the case to my colleagues.

• abritabroad

Awesome Thankyou so much!

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

I see you are now in contact with one of my colleagues. I've added the info you put in this thread to the ticket!