I cannot get Maschine to run properly on any OS...

fpsdroc
fpsdroc Member Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2023 in Maschine

I've tried to save my frustration, however I've nearly had it with Maschine & NI.

Last year I bought a Macbook Pro 14" M1, had problems nonstop with Maschine crashing. After dealing with that for a year I decided to go back to Windows, Windows 11 specifically. Built a PC (specs below). And again nothing, but problems. The problems are different from my Mac. When I'm casually making a beat the CPU meter in Maschine will spike up to about 40% then the audio starts crackling, glitching, freezing, and the CPU will go to 100% I have to hit the power button every time my actual CPU usage spikes to 50%. I can have 1 VST + an instance of Raum, and that's all it takes for this to happen. Using Reason 12 I have no issues at all loading up 50+ VSTs with Raum playing several midi notes.

The other issue I have with Maschine... I will open a VST effect & the window is blank, the whole UI becomes unresponsive, and I have no choice, but to close the software.

I've done a ton of troubleshooting & I have gotten nowhere. I kept thinking it was the ASIO4all driver, but I've tried the internal Windows drivers, and the same thing happens.

I've turned off core parking, changed CPU power settings to MAX. I checked the event monitor & the only thing I was able to find that might be a source of the issue is ms edge webview2. I reinstalled that, no luck. reinstalled Maschine. The only other thing I could think of is turning off core isolation. Not sure where to go from here...

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

Part of your problems may be because of big.little of 12th gen intels. Setting afinity of cores or switching off e-cores might help with crackles. Also using ASIO4All for internal audio interface may be partially or fully source of problems with crackling...

Problems with blank interface of plugins.... GPU driver ....

I have used Maschine on four Win computers (Win7 and Win10) with different audio interfaces (internal/external) and no problems.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    edited March 2023

Hello,

what audio interface do you use, with what settings. You can maybe try to set maschine exe to only use the power cores not the efficiency cores. The specs are fine and you should be able to play big projects just fine. Also without setting core affinity manually.

• fpsdroc

This is just using the internal audio interface. I can try to see if I have the same issue with my Tascam US 2x2 and report back. I still don't think that will resolve the VST window issue I'm having though which is the most important to me because I will lose the ability to save the project & have to force close, also on some projects it prevents me from ever accessing the VST and I will have to load a new instance losing all parameters.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

It will not solve all issues but i guess there is more than one here. What graphics card do you use? And if you have a 3rd party antivirus program, please deactivate it or add all native stuff to the exclusions. You can also download a program like "system spec", export the result and upload it here. This could also help: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

• Gspot247
    Gspot247 Member Posts: 3 Member

Defiantly move away from any asio driver that doesn’t come with a decent sound card…I use RME asio HDSPe with no problems, maybe look to get a decent external audio interface that’s what I would do with a laptop.

asio4all isn’t great imo or any onboard sound card driver

I know what you meant with NI i am having l a load of GUI issues with maschine software but that’s another thing all together.

good luck

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

Part of your problems may be because of big.little of 12th gen intels. Setting afinity of cores or switching off e-cores might help with crackles. Also using ASIO4All for internal audio interface may be partially or fully source of problems with crackling...

Problems with blank interface of plugins.... GPU driver ....

I have used Maschine on four Win computers (Win7 and Win10) with different audio interfaces (internal/external) and no problems.

• fpsdroc

UPDATE: I think I may have found what is causing my issue!!! (at least with the CPU, not the window issue)

So, I had a problem with one of the kits from Midnight Sunset called "Mood Kit", and I had ONLY that kit running. And I noticed when I hit a single pad with the internal reverb on it completely glitched out. It was the same spiel the CPU would spike in Maschine, audio crackling, etc. So I turned them all off in the kit, and CPU spikes went away & no crackles. I then turned all of the internal reverbs off except for one, on a single snare hit

After that I said "let me check on this one beat that always does it on the chorus section". I started looking through all the groups & found an internal reverb on an open hh, when it started crackling I immediately turned it off & looped the chorus for at least 30 minutes in total. Never popped or crackled again, and I also copied 5 groups that had (Kontakt 7) Duets>Internal EQ>Choral>Raum with no problems.

I went back to the project with the Midnight Sunset kit to do some more troubleshooting, I wanted to eliminate plugins one-by-one to see how far I could go until the CPU spikes stopped. What I was left with was 1 EQ on the group, the same single snare hit with reverb, and a Massive patch with an EQ. When the CPU spikes happened I noticed, any instrument I turned off would stop the crackles, and drop the CPU utilization floor from about 20% down to 0%.

I can't say for certain if it's the internal reverb, but after testing all this it seems apparent. It only seems to happen on the Room setting, I tried the other settings & had no luck getting it to glitch the audio. I'm going to keep on troubleshooting as I run into problems, but I think I may have found it.

Also I have a 6700XT + Internal graphics. I keep everything updated regularly, and I do not have 3rd party anti-virus.