How to create your own funky riffs in Session Gutarist - Electric Mint ?

THOSC
THOSC Member Posts: 12 Member
edited March 2023 in Kontakt

Hello,

I would like to play a funk guitar live with the Session Gutarist - Electric Mint without having to resort to patterns. However, when I go into Melody mode, I have the impression that these crunchy riffs are not playable because some chord noise that you hear in the patterns is not even available in Melody mode.

Is that right?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

@THOSC I'm not sure if that's possible. The riffs in the general instrument are recorded. The Melody instrument has a limited set of variables. As I said, for chords, put it to poly mode and you can add the muted keyswitch. It will probably not sound like you playing it live.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

@THOSC You might not have all the noises in Melody mode but you do have keyswitches for different ways for playing the notes, including "muted" for these funky riffs.

For chords you should set it to poly.

• THOSC
    THOSC Member Posts: 12 Member

I would like to play funky riffs live, so no patterns, but no single notes either. What is the best way to make what I play live sound like funky guitar chords?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@THOSC I'm not sure if that's possible. The riffs in the general instrument are recorded. The Melody instrument has a limited set of variables. As I said, for chords, put it to poly mode and you can add the muted keyswitch. It will probably not sound like you playing it live.

• manfex
    manfex Member Posts: 7 Member

It is possible, but it is very slow to set up and probably a bit cumbersome to play, but you can actually make your own custom riffs inside Electric Mint, and because of that you can make custom articulations to be used in the melody mode.

Set the latch mode to stop in 1/8, and pattern sync to start on key. Find a funk lick you like from the any of the patterns inside electric mint and load it to a free pattern slot. Press the wrench key to edit the pattern. Now use the slide function to slide the pattern so that the funk lick in the pattern you want to make a keyswitch out of will be the first thing played when the pattern is started. Now when you press the keyswitch and any tone key and release it fast, it will play the first three 16th notes, or keep it pressed longer and the pattern will play longer. You can't get it to play 1 or 2, and it will not stop on 4, and probably all the other even numbers, but if you do this to all the pattern slots you will now have four new keyswitches with different sounds which you can play live or inside a daw.

If NI would update the library so that the latch mode stop would be allowed to be stopped faster, for example 1/16 (the shortest is now 'stop within 1/8'), it would make it much more usable and powerful especially inside daw use. Another way to achieve the same thing would be to just allow users to set the pattern end time to 1-32 instead of 8-32. Easy fixes from the programming side, little work but big benefits with no downsides I can see.