Feature request: wavetable import

chk071
chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
edited February 2022 in Massive X & Synths

I already requested this in the old forum, but, thought it'd be time to do in the new one as well. ;)

Topic title says it. It would be nice to have support for loading user wavetables in Massive X. Preferrably Serum format (well, almost all soft synths these days which have wavetable import use that format, I think).

The wavetables in Massive X are fine, albeit they tend to go in the harsh, Dubsteb wub-wub rah-rah direction. Opening up to the usage of downloaded or self-made wavetables would end up a whole new world of sounds. So, I'd really like to have it in Massive X.

Tagged:

Comments

• DS99
    DS99 Member Posts: 28 Member

I don´t agree about the "harsh" sounding wavetables. I think Massive X offers a million ways of using the wavetable oscillators (and modes) in combination with the variety of filters. You have to spend quite a little bit of time to explore what´s possible. But, you could also make use of the noisetables, loading your own user noisetables. Please refer to manual page 71 (english manual), section 12.2. Hope that helps ;)

• chk071

I don´t agree about the "harsh" sounding wavetables. I think Massive X offers a million ways of using the wavetable oscillators (and modes) in combination with the variety of filters.

Yes, doesn't change that many of them sound very harsh though. Massive X in general rather lends itself to the harder styles of electronic music.

Regarding the noise oscillators: That's a mere unsatisfying workaround for me. For example, you can't use the oscillator modes of the wavetable oscillators on those oscillators at all, or use the phase modulation options. An import function for the wavetable oscillators would be much more desirable.

• DS99
    DS99 Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2022

I understand what you mean. Sure, to have the feature integrated to the main oscillators would be more powerful.

Again, I disagree concerning the sound aspects you mentioned ;) Massive X is able to produce any kind of sound. It´s even possible to come very close to the classic analog synthesizers.

• chk071

You're absolutely right, of course. Massive X can do any kind of sound. It's just that I feel like many of the wavetables, and also the oscillator modes tend to go into the hard direction. It's sometimes a bit difficult to "tame the beast" if you know what I mean. ;)

Great synth though, I love it. Had an hour long session with it yesertday, and had so much fun playing it. As you say, it's really analog sounding for such a "flagship" type synth. We are spoiled these days.