How do I stop Kontakt 7 Player from hogging Kontakt launches?

Murat Kayi
Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

Hi,

K13 Ultimate/Maschine

I noticed that when I use the Maschine browser to load a preset, it will load in Kontakt 7 player. As I own Kontakt 6 full edition I want the usual behaviour of presets being loaded in the software I own the full license for.

How can I avoid Kontakt 7 from being the default launch wrapper for presets in Maschine (and possibly Komplete, I dunno if it is the same there)?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @Murat Kayi You just need to untick this box:

It's the same in Komplete Kontrol.

• Murat Kayi

Thanks @Jeremy_NI that works!

Follow-up question: What does that mean for the rest of my K13 setup? Am I right in guessing that the updates overwrite previous versions, so my K13 products will load up in their latest version regardless of that toggle switch?

• Jeremy_NI

This box is only for Kontakt or Reaktor, where they are really 2 different applications (Kontakt 5 vs 6 vs 7, Reaktor 5 vs 6). Ususally when you update your products (regardless of which bundle you own) you get the latest one and it delets the older version, for example, Kontakt 7.2 will delete Kontakt 7.1 but not Kontakt 6.7. I hope this makes sense!

• Murat Kayi

It does! Thanks!

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 851 Guru

Just a note - on PC anyway - this never worked for me.

I got K7 whether I wanted it or not no matter what instrument I tried to load. K6 (which is still installed) has seemingly been banished and can never be used in KK or anywhere else - unless manually loaded.

VP

• Jeremy_NI

@Vocalpoint That happens with any instrument? In Komplete Kontrol or in Maschine?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 851 Guru
    edited March 2023

To be clear - this issue first showed itself back when I was "forced" to install K7 Player via some obscure rule in Komplete Kontrol in the fall of 2022 - about 2-3 weeks after K7 launched.

Some library (or unseen force) within Native Access placed a message onscreen saying the Kontakt 7 Player was required - and since the messaging was so relentless in appearing - I had no choice but to install it.

To that point - I was happily running K6 and fully intended to run K6 until such time that I purchased my Komplete 14 ULT upgrade which I was price monitoring for several months (Finally bought it within the Black Friday promo window that ran from Nov-Dec 2022).

I had a ton of projects in Studio One using K6 and that turned into a nighmare having to navigate the different version or Kontakt - that's a story for another day :)

After I was forced to install K7 Player - that effectively ended any further use of my (still) installed K6. For the short time between say Nov 1, 2022 - until I purchased K14 ULT at the end of December - any use of ANY Kontakt instrument - launched in K7 Player within Komplete Kontrol and that's it.

After extensive reading both here and in other forums - it appears that uninstalling K7 Player would allow K6 to be used again - but I did not want to deal with that and left it. I actually echoed this in another thread (that you responded to) from several months back where we were talking about how NI insists on favoring the latest version of Kontakt (Once installed) and does not allow the user to use an older version whatsoever. (Cannot find that thread right now).

I also read a bunch of commentary on this "checkbox" as well - and while excited to discover it - if this checkmark "Always use the latest version of NI Plugins" is actually supposed to do something - (of course I had it unchecked hoping something good would happen) - I am not seeing it.

When I tested this extensively in Komplete Kontrol (I do not have/use Maschine) I got K7 every time - whether it be Player OR K7 Full once I purchased K14 ULT.

That said - let's assume for a moment that this checkbox actually DOES do something and actually was working - AND I still had K7 Player installed. What I am supposed to see onscreen when launching a Kontakt based instrument? How exactly would I (or KK) launch a selected Kontakt instrument in K6 Full and completely ignore K7 Player?

Once I went K7 Full - I simply gave up on this as everything now comes up in K7 Full regardless of that checkbox setting.

Would love to know exactly what this checkbox is intended to do and what the end user is supposed to see (or not see) if it is left unchecked for any Kontakt or Reactor instruments.

VP

• DjRenigade
    DjRenigade Member Posts: 20 Member

Maschine MK3 is or seems to be using K6 when i have K 7 Full installed. How do we make it default to K7?

• Jeremy_NI
    edited July 2023

@DjRenigade Did you install the latest version of Kontakt 7.4? It is supposed to get rid of some migration issues. What about ticking the box in Maschine, upper in this post? ☝️