Traktor S3 Mk2 Defaults to live input to all decks

Hi there and I hope and pray I will get a response as I have asked 7 other questions in the past and never got one.

Can anyone help or tell me why my Controller S2 Mk3 defaults to live input on all decks when i switch it on. I got the S2 and S4 Mk3 and none does that. There is no way to get through to technical support nowadays with NI. Gone are the days when you will either drop an email or make a telephone call and you get immediate help.

Much as i love using NI products which I have done for over a decade, i think its about time to switch a company like pioneer and serato whom i am told by friends will reply for any support within hours. Companies like NI should realise that one of the most vital ingredient to keep your customers and attracting new ones is how fast you can address their queries. We are been directed to the support page which has no option to address certain issues we encounter with NI products. It also explains why they make it difficult to sell their products when you can't have help to continue using them. Buy any other hardware and want to transfer it to another person its just like good morning. With Trkator you need to send a request pleading with them to do this to an item that once you have bought it belongs to you. Smart idea i guess. We were told when the company management changed, some of these headaches will be a thing of the past. But as many of you know nothing has changed. It has even got worse.

When I had the pioneer SR2 and occasionally using Serato, it was just one click and and you are with their local technical support team and problem resolved. I think i will blame myself for putting myself in this situation as each frustrating time i will say i am done with NI but still do not do it.

I think the issue I have with the S3 Mk2 can be resolved in a matter of minutes with a simple explanation. But God help my soul if I will ever get any help suggestions. With traktor is down to the customers to figure out solutions amongst themselves on their forum page. Ita in a way insulting to some of us the loyal customers for over a decade now. Do not get me wrong here. When everything is working with traktor software & hardware they are a class of their own apart from the Controller S3 MK2 which for some reasons only NI knows why, is not as powerful in sound quality like the cheaper S2 MK3. Another strange production from NI.

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Here is a good starting point:

'\Resources64\qml\CSI\S3\S3Mixer.qml', line 15++

AppProperty { id: deckDType; path: "app.traktor.decks.4.type"; }

// Local variable for input mode
    MappingPropertyDescriptor { id: deckDInputModeProp; path: "mapping.deck_d_input_mode"; type: MappingPropertyDescriptor.Boolean; value: false }

Wire { from: "s3.mixer.input_mode"; to: DirectPropertyAdapter { path: "mapping.deck_d_input_mode" } }

Wire {
      to: ButtonScriptAdapter
      {
        onPress:
        {
          if (module.shift)
          {
            // Toggles Deck D input between Line and Mic
            deckDInputModeProp.value = !deckDInputModeProp.value
          }
          else
          {
            // Toggles Deck D external input mode
            deckDType.value = (deckDType.value == DeckType.Live) ? Helpers.defaultTypeForDeck(4) : DeckType.Live;
           }
        }
        brightness: module.shift ? 1.0 : ((deckDType.value == DeckType.Live) ? 1.0 : 0.0)
      }
    }

This is to specifically set deck D to live input, probably because the S3 has stereo input on the backside directly to deck D to make it easy on novices.

Answers

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod
    edited March 2023

Hi @Mani Muchasalsa ,

before having a look at the reported issue, I'd like to clear up what seems to be a major misunderstanding. Yes, contact options for NI Tech Support have changed in the last years and help via phone is no longer being offered. I hope on people's understanding that I am not in the position to further comment on this decision.

I cannot say anything about our previous user forum as it is offline and no longer accessible. In the new Community, this is your very first post. And I am happy to let you know that support engagement which didn't really happen in the old forum is now being taken more seriously here.

Getting through is not a problem though. On our DJ Support page, there is the self-help wizard which is meant to provide instant help for the most common issues, without any waiting time. At the end of the process of clicking through this wizard, there is - and has always been - the possibility to file a ticket and get in touch with our Traktor Tech Support agents. So much for this.

There is no S3 MK2, so I assume that you are referring to this model:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controllers/traktor-kontrol-s3/

Correct?

• Mani Muchasalsa
    Mani Muchasalsa Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your reply and clarifications. I tried to go through the selp support wizard but it did not take me to the option to create a ticket which was what I was expecting. Yes its the S3 I am talking about.

Thanks.

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod

Thanks for specifying!

Could you please post a brief screen recording here that shows Traktor starting up so we can see how it appears when freshly launched. THX!

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

I've seen this a couple of times with my Z2 and S8 in the past. Probably due to existance of the TRAKTOR (input) button on these units.

Do you have any other mappings installed in the Controller Manager? (other than NI default ones)

Does it happen when you ahve only the S3 mapping installed and no other hardware connected?

• Mani Muchasalsa
    Mani Muchasalsa Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi Stevan,

Thanks for te reply. Yes I do have the DJ2GO2 touch traktor mapping in the controller manager. But the S2 MK3 or S4 Mk3 do not do that. That is why I am bit surprise. Cheers

• Zedefex
    Zedefex Member Posts: 3 Member

I also have this problem - bought my traktor S3 in Feburary this year 2023 and ever since i purchased this is what presents:

Settings> Decks Layout >Deck Flavor >A : always defaults to LIVE INPUT.

Please clarify how to repair this disfunction

As i said it happened from time of purchase and no one seems to know how to sort it.

Also, all the voices in my lyrics have suddenly become very high pitched like they are singing after a helium balloon experience. I have checked all the frequency settings on the decks, any ideas where to go to sort this ? whether the sound comes from TRAKTOR S3 thru my computer or external speaker - still the same situation. If i play the same track just thru itunes ( not going via Traktor S3) no problem - so i have isolated the issue to a setting in traktor. Can you recommend where i go in the settings to resolve this issue. Obviously it's become quite an issue! Thanks for your help, Zoe

• Zedefex
    Zedefex Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi there Folks - just repeating my issue from a few days ago - wondering if i can get some support thanks

I also have this problem - bought my traktor S3 in Feburary this year 2023 and ever since i purchased this is what presents:

Settings> Decks Layout >Deck Flavor >A : always defaults to LIVE INPUT.

Please clarify how to repair this disfunction

As i said it happened from time of purchase and no one seems to know how to sort it.

Also, all the voices in my lyrics have suddenly become very high pitched like they are singing after a helium balloon experience. I have checked all the frequency settings on the decks, any ideas where to go to sort this ? whether the sound comes from TRAKTOR S3 thru my computer or external speaker - still the same situation. If i play the same track just thru itunes ( not going via Traktor S3) no problem - so i have isolated the issue to a setting in traktor. Can you recommend where i go in the settings to resolve this issue. Obviously it's become quite an issue! Thanks for your help, Zoe

• nskcharles
    nskcharles Member Posts: 31 Member

I am seeing a similar problem with my S3 - the decks will sporadically switch to Live input all on their own. I have updated all firmware and DJ Pro 3

• nskcharles

OK, it's the "EXT" button. Even if it's off when I quit, it comes on again when I restart and D turns to a live deck.

• Sûlherokhh

It's set in the qml code to be the standard setting, to be changed manually. If you are willing to fiddle with the code, you can set the standard to any deck type you want.

• nskcharles
    edited April 2023

I am willing to fiddle!! Where is the qml code?

Edit: found it - C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Traktor Pro 3\Resources64\qml

• nskcharles
    edited April 2023

Note to self and future readers:

QML Intro

• Sûlherokhh
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Here is a good starting point:

'\Resources64\qml\CSI\S3\S3Mixer.qml', line 15++

AppProperty { id: deckDType; path: "app.traktor.decks.4.type"; }

// Local variable for input mode
    MappingPropertyDescriptor { id: deckDInputModeProp; path: "mapping.deck_d_input_mode"; type: MappingPropertyDescriptor.Boolean; value: false }

Wire { from: "s3.mixer.input_mode"; to: DirectPropertyAdapter { path: "mapping.deck_d_input_mode" } }

Wire {
      to: ButtonScriptAdapter
      {
        onPress:
        {
          if (module.shift)
          {
            // Toggles Deck D input between Line and Mic
            deckDInputModeProp.value = !deckDInputModeProp.value
          }
          else
          {
            // Toggles Deck D external input mode
            deckDType.value = (deckDType.value == DeckType.Live) ? Helpers.defaultTypeForDeck(4) : DeckType.Live;
           }
        }
        brightness: module.shift ? 1.0 : ((deckDType.value == DeckType.Live) ? 1.0 : 0.0)
      }
    }

This is to specifically set deck D to live input, probably because the S3 has stereo input on the backside directly to deck D to make it easy on novices.

• nskcharles

This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.

❤❤❤❤❤

• Sûlherokhh