Are there any good sample oscilloscopes out there?

Michael R B
Michael R B Member Posts: 15 Member

Another question from a Reaktor noob. I am starting to make sone progress with hacking up a basic synt in Primary, but at the point where it would be nice to see visually what these are doing.

The as-usual-not-especially-helpful Reaktor 6 documentation says about the Scope module "The Scope Module can be used to create oscilloscopes. It samples the signal at the In input and then draws a trace of the input over time when a positive Event arrives at the Trig input. The ranges and offsets of the time axis and Y axis can be set using the inputs."

Ok.

So, I took a look on the User Library and I'm darned if I can find any examples of code that's easy to lift / reuse. I'm sure that there must be loads of projects where someone has thrown in an easy-to-reuse scope. Does anyone have any pointers as to how to find one?

TIA!

Best Answer

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru
    Answer ✓

Here's an example using the scope module, and for comparison, using the XY control module.

of these, I prefer the XY control module.

...but neither of these can match rolling your own using the multi display module - it's more work, but you have total control, the results are potentially much more interesting

Answers

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro

If it's not going to be part of the build itself, you can use the Blocks scope. Blocks Base -> Blocks -> Util -> scope.

Greets,

Bolle

• Michael R B

Well, I had wanted to include it as part of the build. I was able to find one of the ADSR Sounds / Salamander Anagram videos wherein he built a couple of scopes. (He doesn't seem to like the actual Primary Scope object.)

I'd still like to find usable code in Primary that uses the Scope object, if there are any recommendations for that...

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Myself uses an Audio Table for wave and LFO

• Michael R B

Thanks! Exceedingly helpful!

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

… and with really low cpu power.

• colB
    Answer ✓

Here's an example using the scope module, and for comparison, using the XY control module.

of these, I prefer the XY control module.

...but neither of these can match rolling your own using the multi display module - it's more work, but you have total control, the results are potentially much more interesting

• stevo3985
    stevo3985 Member Posts: 5 Member

There is a scope included in the Reaktor Blocks Base library, which I think is what you are referring to.

Anyway, the documentation seems to be a bit misleading. You don't require any code to do this. The scope doesn't have to "become an oscilloscope" because the module already IS an O'scope. You can set up your patch like this to visualize your waveforms.

Just make sure that whatever you are looking to visualize, whether it is output from the oscillator, the filter, VCA, FX or otherwise, just plug it into the 'in' port, and it is good to go. You can use the options overhead to adjust the parameters of what is shown, but it all should be pretty easy to understand, once you are looking at a functioning readout of your audio.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will do my best to help out, as I have a great deal of experience with hardware and software modular, and I wouldn't be where I am, without the help of others to explain these concepts to me. I am simply paying forward the gifts I was given. 🙂

• stevo3985
    stevo3985 Member Posts: 5 Member

Oops, I didn't realize that my popup blocker was blocking the replies to this question, and thought that this was not yet answered. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, or provide redundancy to an already answered question. I am new here. Apologies, everyone... 😕

• colB

hey, no worries Stevo, and welcome to the forum.

The switch to a platform where there are 'Answers' and accepted answers is a relatively new NI forum wide thing, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the Reaktor sub forum. Most questions here really need a discussion rather than a single simple answer, and in that case having a 'best answer' moved to the top of the thread just breaks the flow - it's totally inappropriate for the Reaktor sub-forum IMO.

Often discussion is required just to get to what the real question should have been ;)

In this case, the obvious answer is the one Paule gave first, and you also gave, but the OP explained that they really want a scope embedded in their project (the clue was that they referred to the scope module in their first post), in that case, neither the ready made Block or the Factory scope instrument are suitable, although both are good targets for studying how to build a scope!

Of course, Reaktor being a development environment, there are lots of different ways to go about implementing a scope for some specific use case within another instrument. It really depends on the details of the context and the requirements of the designer, which we don't have :)

• colB

Just for fun I uploaded an example to the UL of why folk (me anyway) might use the Multi Display module and roll their own, rather than using the ancient primary built-ins...

I made this a few years ago and never really finished it, but it's fun as is if you feed it the right kind of input. I might add some more features, but it still stands up as an example of what's possible with a 'scope' in Reaktor.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14841/