Kontakt 7 / Battery 4 / Taking Ages To Startup / Windows 11

PhatMonkey
PhatMonkey Member Posts: 28 Member

Recently after a couple of updates Kontakt 7 and Battery 4 for me can take over a minute if not more to start up, both plugin and standalone. I have used Kontakt and Battery for many years and they have always loaded instantly.

Steps I have taken to resolve issue, uninstalled, removed related folders and registry keys, checked SSD's for disk errors but problem still persists after new install.

System Info: Windows 11 / 12900k / 4090 / 64G DDR5

Thank you for any insight / help on this matter, I wanted to send it as a bug report to NI but there is no option under support which is a little strange.

Cheers

Ryan

Comments

• PhatMonkey

BUMP: I installed Kontakt 6 today or the one called just Kontakt and that loads up fast

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 850 Guru

Agreed. Kontakt 7's startup is horrendously long. Especially for an app that does exactly nothing at startup. Would love to know exactly what it IS doing - since it loads empty and does nothing until I tell it to.

Like Komplete Kontrol, Native Access and even the standalone Maschine software - I am guessing that K7 feels like it has to rescan every single file on every single drive to arrive at what it would call "ready".

Seems that NI is incapable of having any of these apps store some sort of delta scan position or something that would tell a Kontakt OR Komplete Kontrol that an initial FULL scan has already occurred and just get on with it and load up.

If I am missing some libraries or something I recently installed - let me start a manual scan when I see fit - not the other way around.

Komplete Kontrol is absolutely perfect when I use it as a VST plugin within Studio One - I drag it in and it's instantly ready for action. The standalone should be the same. As should Kontakt 7.

VP

• TNIS
    TNIS Member Posts: 1 Member

I put in a support ticket for this same issue - almost a minute to load Kontakt 7 standalone. And like you, Kontakt 6 opens in about 3 seconds for me. NI Support was extremely responsive, and time and time again their suggestions didn't help. In the end, they finally gave up. Couldn't come up with a solution... BUT not for lack of trying, I am not unhappy with NI support whatsoever.

I'm just glad to see it's not only me with this problem. That means there's something that CAN be fixed or changed, but it's such a rare issue they just haven't figured it out yet. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point.

• PhatMonkey

I contacted support last week, still waiting hahahaha...

Glad to see others have the same issue though, thought it was just me :D

• PhatMonkey

Thought I would update as it may help, I have since had back and forths with support / tech team, they were able to reduce the 1min 45 seconds of Kontakt 7 and Battery 4 startup to 45 seconds, I know that is not ideal but for now I am using Kontakt 6 which is almost instant..

So anyway... this is what worked, navigate to c:/program files/common files/Native Instruments / service center. Inside here there are XML files, save them to somewhere safe in case anything goes wrong and delete the xml files.

Now start up service center and scan, close service center once the scan is complete, now there will be 1 xml file created at c:/program files/common files/Native Instruments / service center. Load up Kontakt 7 and see if the the time it loads up has improved, note it may take longer the first time as it is scanning your database again...

Good luck...

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 850 Guru

PhatMonkey

Interesting find that I will try today. In my Service Center folder there are at least 200 xml files - some referencing things that make no sense - like my Native Access file has a "created" date of March 2021 - which is like two years ago? Even after changing complete versions of Native Access v1 and v2?

Did Support tell you what to do if something strange happens - just replace the files?

I should also mention that my Kontakt only takes about 12-15 secs to startup - which is still unbelievable but not the 1:45 that you are referencing. If it took that long here - I think I would lost my mind :)

Hard to justify K7 @ 1:45 and K6 at like 2 seconds. It makes no sense whatsoever.

VP

• PhatMonkey

Hi there, I guess they told me to keep the XML files in case something went wrong, but like u, I had loads of them, I tested most of my plugins and packs from KP13 and they still work fine after deleting the xml files ..