Controlling Logic Pro X Global Tempo with Maschine Mikro MK3

SongTree19
SongTree19 Member Posts: 10 Member

Hello,

I've just recently purchased the Maschine Mikro, and I've been searching all around for information on how to set up Maschine Mikro with Logic and it is not easy. I have some basic transport controls set up, but I'm not sure how to control Logic's Tempo using the "Tempo" button and encoder wheel. Maschine 2 also doesn't respond when I try to adjust the tempo with the "Tempo" button and encoder wheel.

I have seen a lot of other people having trouble setting up their Maschine Mikro, as well. I'm just wondering why there is no manual. The tutorials offered by NI also aren't very helpful. I'm jumping from one Youtube video to the next.

I still have more to understand but I'd be grateful for any help I can get.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,284 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey there, sorry to jump in so late after the party. There is no official transport / host integration of the Mikro Mk3 in Logic or any other DAW, only for the larger MK3, so what you find on the internet are workarounds. The tempo button is here for the tempo in the Maschine software, nothing else.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

It works when controlling the Maschine software application, for the Maschine-Plugin it does not because the host/DAW is in control of the BPM.

Answers

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 123 Advisor

My advice: Don’t spend time on this. Why do you need to change tempo from that encoder? No reason.

As far as I know, it can be done.

Do you need to change Logic’s tempo from Mikro Mk3 controller?

You are right that NI could cover the integration for Logic better.

• SongTree19

Hey Impermanence,

Thanks for responding. The initial question you asked and answered yourself is also what I asked myself, too. Your answer was mine. You're right I don't need to use the encoder wheel and Tempo button, but the options are there.

I want to take full advantage of what I paid for. I know it's pretty minor in comparison to the controller's many other features, but I at least what to try a little harder to figure this out before I give up on it completely (although I also feel inclined to not bother with it, as you said).

I know that every piece of gear, no matter how great, has at least one or two features that aren't used by the owner, but I still want to give this a shot.

I still appreciate your response, though.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,284 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey there, sorry to jump in so late after the party. There is no official transport / host integration of the Mikro Mk3 in Logic or any other DAW, only for the larger MK3, so what you find on the internet are workarounds. The tempo button is here for the tempo in the Maschine software, nothing else.

• D-One

Usually DAW's allow mapping the Tempo value to Knobs/Encoders, unfortunately for you, Logic does not.

What you want exactly might not be possible but you can MIDI Map the Tempo button on the controller to trigger Tap-Tempo in Logic for example. Just go to Key Commands > Edit in Logic, find the function, click "Learn New Assignment" and press the Tempo button.

The above works for many, many things, so you can customize the Mikro's buttons to do many things even tho it has no default mapping.

• SongTree19

@D-One

Hey, thanks for responding!

I actually already tried midi-mapping the Tempo button, but it didn't work. Logic is having trouble recognizing the button in any situation even midi-mapping. I tried adding different 'CC' values to the button in the Maschine Mikro control settings, to which Logic recognized it once and never again after that.

However, I'll be trying this again.

Best.

• SongTree19

Hello @Jeremy_NI,

It's alright, I still appreciate you chiming in.

I understand, but unfortunately, the tempo button doesn't work for the Maschine 2 software either.

Thanks again, though.

• SongTree19

@Impermanence

Hey there.

I responded a while ago, but at the time I didn't realize we could tag people. Anyway, you don't have to respond, just thought I'd let you know.

• D-One
    Answer ✓

It works when controlling the Maschine software application, for the Maschine-Plugin it does not because the host/DAW is in control of the BPM.

• D-One
  • SongTree19

I've mapped other parameters (on both Mikro and another piece of gear) but never mapped Global Tempo settings before, so I chose the option logic had which was:

Key command> Global commands> Tap Tempo

Logic recognized a button being assigned just once, but never enabled tap tempo.

• SongTree19

@D-One

Thank you for clarifying. I also didn't answer your initial question properly: I'm trying to map the Global Tempo, but the nearest option I've seen for doing that in Logic is "Tap Tempo".

• D-One
    edited March 2023

Yeah, that's what I said, Logic does not have a mappable tempo/bpm, so there's really nothing anyone can do afaik; Ableton, for example, allows this and it's easy to setup. 🤷‍♂️

• SongTree19

@D-One

Yeah, I understood what you said initially.

However, Thanks for the help.