New road map updated for 02/2023.

Comments

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 152 Pro

This was my though, also with the other major streaming services. But streaming services are not a priority for me. But it would show promise that NI is listening to the customer and that would be a plus.

• Demus

So, you are saying that if a buy a track. I must also pay just to play that track as a DJ. As well as pay for the streaming service 🤯

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Yes. At least in EU, you must pay when playing a track on public. Each CD/vinyl most probably has text similar like this:

"All rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting of this recording prohibited."

Buying a track gives you the right to use it just for personal use, not the right for playing it on public. The both for profit and nonprofit.

For example, if there is admision fee up to 2 EUR and 200 people comes, DJ should pay roughly 50 EUR in Czech Republic. Admision 20 EUR and 1000 people costs on roalities to be paid something over 2000 EUR. Admision 40 EUR and 3 000 people - roughly 13 000 EUR should be paid on royalities....

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
  • Kubrak

What I meant is, that roalities should be paid if copyrighted music is performed in public. Venues take care about it, but what about weddings, and so on?

• Demus

This logic makes no sense. The DJ has to pay 3 time for the songs that he plays. Because the producers are worried about the so call 2 hundred or so million that the DJ community is making from the over 1-billion-dollar industry according to the logics from the website. But he is not concern about the 700 million dollars that the big industry is making🤯. Hey, always try to suck the life out of the little guy and big corporation gets fat while we try to fight over scraps. I just love your logic. Why not pitch this to the big corporation, that see my song is popular with the DJ community, I should get a more of that 7 hundred million that you are making from me.

• Kubrak

That is not my logic, that is what the copyright law requires....

Beside that, one pays 'roalities' when buying printer, storage media (SSD, HDD, flash stick, memory card, CD-RW, DVD-RW, ...). Restaurants, caffes, hotels pay for using radio, TV, recorded music for guests.... And so on....

One may ignore it, but one day the bill might come....

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert

You have to pay for the song once.

The venue pays the public broadcast fee.

Now if you make enough money with DJing, for example 1 000 EUR on one night you can now IF YOU WANT also pay the small time artist a percentage fee.

If it's a small underground techno artist he will moste likely get no or very little paycut from the public broadcast fee. And some clubs also don't allow phones on the dancefloor, you don't have many shazaming the songs even if it's dope.

It's a niche usecase. But it is one with logic behind. Again, just read the gosh darn website if you want to know the motivation behind it. Takes 5 minutes and is not rocket science.

If you play Top 40 and get 100 bucks on a night this is probably not aimed at you. Not everything is.

• Kubrak

Yes, venue pays the fee. But DJs play also at other places than venues.... And there it is their responsibility. Mostly...

And, by the way. According to copyright law one does not have to pay for songs if it is for personal use. And it is expected that people do not pay. That is why there is copyright tax on every empty data storage device.

But on the other side, one (or venue instead of him) has to pay for each use on public.

But we are a bit offtopic....

• Demus

You are right. Off topic I will just agree to disagree. As someone said earlier in this post, they hope this will not be a distraction to NI on the development of Traktor Pro road map.

• Kayya
    Kayya Member Posts: 189 Advisor

I read and respect you carefully. and I want to quote this thought again. the subject of copyrights is a very old culture. No music is the same work of art as before. Artists produce music for their own ads. They pay some publishers or DJs to be popular. A consonant person, on the other hand, listens to that artist's commercial music by giving money, and puts it on his set by giving money to every step. If you were famous, he would give you money.

In such a world, those who stay in between are harmed. I wanted to share this by respecting your thoughts. This order is not suitable for the understanding of the free world.

I don't know if I'm going into big topics :))

Yes, the new feature spoken will not be mandatory, but it is useful to chat :)

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro

This.

Instead, elastic beatgrids were asked until the limit, and they are still "in research" < "in development" < "in beta"

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 249 Guru
    edited March 2023

What does fame have to do with any of this?

It's about intellectual property and fair remuneration for live, public broadcast in licenced venues. Rather than for example PRS collecting revenue from said licenced venues and distributing this (usually) to the copyright holders at the top of the pyramid, who have the means to always stay on top of their performance royalty registrations.

Are you suggesting that DJs who solely DJ and who don't own the master recordings of anything they play, should be paid by the copyright holder, to broadcast their intellectual property?

Under your model, Claude von Stroke would get paid by the PRS and PPL revenue earned from tracks signed to his own record label. That is insane.

You're living in a fantasy land my man.

• Kayya
    Kayya Member Posts: 189 Advisor

This part of the conversation can cause the title to be prevented from going up. We've seen this before. I agree with you and I'm scared :) I wish we could be free on this too :))

I didn't show a way, I just said there is an old rule system that is unfair and not free. Think about it, what would happen if these rules were fully implemented all over the world? Music with all rights free, that is, music from the base, would start to become famous. In an instant, mercenary music would disappear. That's how life is.