Change octave range for strings

Gus
Gus Member Posts: 20 Member

I'm new at learning NI. I need to change the octave for strings ... everything down one octave. Surely this is possible. Please advise, with thanks.

Best Answer

• Gus
    Answer ✓

Yes, Kontakt 7. But it's okay. Using the section rather than a single fiddle seemed to do the trick. What's great is that the entire range is covered but only by strings that would normally be capable.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

If you kick me in the plums I'll be able to sing an octave higher, but I don't know about making strings lower.

You can use the 'Tune' knob in the instrument header, but the sound quality will suffer and they will sound weird. Strings are designed to cover the absolute range of the instrument. If you want lower notes than violin or viola, then you use a cello or bass.

I'm sure you can find ensembles made with other software that cover a wider range, but I don't know of one in Kontakt.

What is the goal?

• Gus

Well, I was hoping that I could get another few notes lower than G (directly below middle C). So I wondered if it was just a settings-kind-of-thing where I could move the range down an octave. But I realize now that's a bit ridiculous. I could always try a viola to see its range. Or maybe I'll need a different "instrument" that's really a section. I'll play with it now. With thanks.

May you enjoy your plums a few more years and never lose them over someone's desire to hear your best whistle voice.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

It's not ridiculous and is possible. But you never specified anything like getting a few notes below G, or which instruments you're using, or which version of Kontakt.

With the older factory library and 'Kontakt 6' you can expand the range by stretching the zones in the mapping editor. It's not possible with the new factory library.

My guess is you're using K7.

• Gus
    Answer ✓

Yes, Kontakt 7. But it's okay. Using the section rather than a single fiddle seemed to do the trick. What's great is that the entire range is covered but only by strings that would normally be capable.