New Kontakt user with sampled instrument questions

ddavis
ddavis Member Posts: 5 Member

I just purchased Komplete which has Kontakt7 in it. I'm using sample robot to create samples from a Kronos I want to use as a VST instrument. I've gone through the process of importing the samples, assigning them to notes and choosing some loop points that work.

I saved the instrument as an NKI project on one computer and have no issues with it. I just tried to copy it over to a new machine which will be my primary rig instrument, and whenever I open it I get a Content Missig error claiming that Untiteld.nkr cannot be found under a ...Native Instruments/Sampled_Patches directory.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong when first creating the instrument, or if there's a way to remove this dependency without starting over from scratch? I can't seem to find a file with this name on the source computer, so I'm a little confused.

Also, is there a way to configure Kontakt to recognize the alternative note 'h' as 'b' when auto assigning wav files? the Robot tool seems to use that I haven't found a way to change that setting. I've been renaming the files manually, but it adds time to the process...

Best Answer

• ddavis
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the helpful responses. I re-created a couple samples and saved it with the Patch+Samples option, and copied that over to the other machine - and it is working much better. Although I found Kontakt gets confused if I don't create a new, unique multi Rack name when creating and saving an instrument. So far I've re-created 4 of the sample instruments and each is working on both machines after copying.

For the other file name issue, I played around and found that the mac can rename selected filenames using a pattern (like search & replace).

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

.nkr is a 'Resource' container for graphix and scripts and other things. Been a long time since I've read about it. To avoid it I just added a wallpaper in the 'Instrument Options'. Never took instrument building to the next level.

You can save an .nki with samples and a performance view without a resource file. Unless you're possibly building in Creator Tools.

You'll have to wait for someone more knowledgable to give you solutions. Or read a book 😊

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

When you save an instrument, if you want it to be portable between machines, make sure to save it with Patch+Samples option ticked, and Absolute paths checkbox MUST be disabled.

As far as I remember, Kontakt's built in automapping utility will not recognize H note name - it has to be B. But this is pretty easy to resolve with a multi-rename tool, there are plenty of them available for free.

• ddavis
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the helpful responses. I re-created a couple samples and saved it with the Patch+Samples option, and copied that over to the other machine - and it is working much better. Although I found Kontakt gets confused if I don't create a new, unique multi Rack name when creating and saving an instrument. So far I've re-created 4 of the sample instruments and each is working on both machines after copying.

For the other file name issue, I played around and found that the mac can rename selected filenames using a pattern (like search & replace).