Why isn't legacy documentation kept online?

AndreBlais
AndreBlais Member Posts: 12 Member

I have just come to the realization that Native Instruments has an absolutely backwards approach to documentation and help resources.

The vast majority of software will either link you to a manual online or to one saved on your hard drive (and often both) while Native Instruments does neither except for the most recent version of a given piece of software.

I simply can't understand why there isn't a single page that allows you to access a given product's documentation.

I did check the default location on Windows for documentation and there is no manual there.

It seems a little ridiculous that Native Instruments can't be bothered to host some PDFs...

I guess I'll just download it from a third party?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited March 2023

You mean this?

Each product has a page like this, most manuals are online.

• AndreBlais

My apologies - I completely neglected to specify that I was talking about legacy products/versions of products...

No such page seems to exist.

There are instructions that tell you where you might find documentation on your HDD but, for whatever reason, I don’t seem to have anything but End User License Agreements in those folders.

• AndreBlais

Actually I take that back - the title of my post does specify that I’m referring to legacy products/versions of products… 😁

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 210 Advisor

Most ancient legal products came with printed manuals. Later legacy products would usually have docs installed at same time as the app with the installer. You might try archive.org and look for old product page and see if link works there?

• Simchris
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Based on your tag, you appear to be looking for kontakt 6 manual? First result in google search...https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/manuals/kontakt/KONTAKT_6.4_Manual_26_08_2020_ENGLISH.pdf

• AndreBlais
    edited March 2023

I tried searching the site, searching the web, searching my soul, lol… I have no idea why I couldn’t find the page you linked but you found it and that’s all that matters! 🙏🏼😁

Although I must say, I don’t know if it’s just me but I find NI’s site to be a tad frustrating to navigate. It’s just odd that this manual wouldn’t turn up using “Kontakt 6” in the site’s search bar.

Either way, your help is greatly appreciated!

Quick aside - is your actual name Chris Sim by any chance? A friend of mine with that exact name was brutally murdered in August 2021. A dark turn in the conversation I know but a potentially interesting coincidence nonetheless.

• Simchris

Hi. No, Christopher Simmons. Got nickname when working for Chris Gore at Computer

player magazine, and they already had two people named Chris, so they started to call me simchris.