Browse File Explorer from Hardware

wzdm.85
wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper

Hello, why is it not possible to browse my computer's file explorer from Mk3 hardware? This seems like a gigantic oversight. Am I actually expected to tag and/or reorganize my entire sample.library just so I can access it from maschine?

This is top of my feature request list for sure.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• wzdm.85
    Answer ✓

Hm, I think I actually just figured out where to add tags.

I'm just doing it the software library. Definitely time consuming.

Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

You can. Just click on the Files tab just to the right and under the MASCHINE logo in the software and you can navigate to anywhere you want.

• wzdm.85

Yeah, but why not from the hardware?

• Peter Harris

You can if you add locations to your user library in preferences.

But if you want them to be properly tagged and sorted you want something like this which is a lifesaver created by an enterprising independent developer:

The best part about it is that if you properly tag loops then their audio previews will be synced to the tempo of your project automatically.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023

Yes, there is no full file browser for any hardware, this is how it's always been so doubt it will change.

You don't necessarily need to tag content after adding a folder as a custom user lib if you don't want to, but it sure makes life easier if you do.

If you're organized and your files have obvious file names like *Kick*.wav performing a text search in the browser, then selecting everything and applying a tag is not that painful but if you don't then it's hell.

• wzdm.85

Thanks for reply!

Sorry, but where do you add the tag for each sample? Can that be done from the software, or are you doing that from the system file explorer?

• wzdm.85
    Answer ✓

Hm, I think I actually just figured out where to add tags.

I'm just doing it the software library. Definitely time consuming.

• Peter Harris

Glad you found it. Yeah, unfortunately it's quite laborious that way.

Fortunately AutoTagger figures out many of the tags automatically which helps but it is still kind of a pain trying to use your own sample libraries in the Maschine ecosystem. It's fantastic for many things but unfortunately that's not one of them.