How to use Maschine Mikro MK3 as a drum pad for NI Studio Drummer?

ProfessorChaos
ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 129 Advisor
edited March 2023 in Maschine

I got a Maschine Mikro MK3, mostly to have a good quality pad for percussion, whether it's a drum kit or orchestral percussion. The Maschine 2 thing is really cool, and I already added barks of my dog when he was a puppy and had a lot of fun hitting the pads and hearing his little barks with some reverb.

But for the most part, I'm going to use it for percussion, and occasionally, drum kits. And one of my favorite drum kits in my collection is Studio Drummer, especially the Stadium Kit.

So I loaded it in Logic using Komplete Kontrol, and nothing is pre setup, I would have to map all the pads to the different elements in the kit, or remap studio drummer to match the notes sent by the Mikro in MIDI mode, which are all very low.

Then I thought, maybe let's load Maschine 2 as an instrument in Logic and see what happens. But Studio Drummer is not a project in Maschine 2, so nothing is mapped, and I just got this and the S88 MK2 keyboard, so it's going to be a while before I can learn all the stuff.

But it seems to me that something might be wrong with my setup because even though the Mikro is connected and lit up, showing MIDI mode in the tiny screen, when I open the MIDI Studio window in the macOS MIDI setup, I don't see it there:

If I click the + button to add a MIDI controller, it adds a generic one, but I don't know what to do with it.

Then if I open Logic and go to the MIDI settings, I don't see either the S88 keyboard or the Mikro 3, the Nektar was the keyboard I was using until recently, and the KORG nanoPAD2 was this awful pad controller that was very low quality that I returned, and I think it had an uninstaller which I ran, but that thing is still there.

And lastly, the Control Surface Setup does show the S88 MK2, but it doesn't show the Mikro. The only other thing there is the iPad I use for faders.

If I try to install a new one, it shows a list of brands and models, with 3 NI devices, and there's MASCHINE MK3 OSC, but I'm not sure it's the Mikro, it may be one of the other Maschine models.

So, basically I'm trying to find out if I can use the Mikro MK3 as a drum and percussion pad with the same integration I get in Maschine, and like I get with the S88 MK2 in Komplete Kontrol, where everything is premapped and looking all futuristic and cool :)

I mean, I'm not just talking about Studio Drummer, but all the drummer instruments in Komplete 14 CE, and anything else that came from NI that is percussion.

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

@Gee_Flat said:

This is how drumming is done. I've been doing it this way for 30 years. Didn't need a tutorial. It just comes naturally when you have MUSICAL TALENT. And every other talented and creative person I know does it this way.

No need to be rude my friend, chill out. There are plenty of super dope finger drummers on Pad's out there too. It's completely subjective what's better or worst.

Mackie control is to emulate Mackie controllers, it has nothing to do with MIDI Mode to trigger instruments.

Host transport control is also unrelated, as the name says it's for controlling transport.

Not sure there could be a default mapping that works for everyone, Studio Drummer has 7+ octaves of different drums, almost 100 different things and Maschine only has 16 Pads... The instrument was never designed with 4x4 controllers as a priority, so if you like to pick where you kick, snare, hat, etc... are in the 4x4 matrix you gotta map it yourself.

You can MIDI Map in the instrument itself to the default MK3 MIDI mode template, or you can map the controller to the plugin using Controller Editor, the first option is probably much easier and faster.

Save the mapping as a default preset so you never have to do it again.

Note that each Group of the default controller map triggers a different octave, you can also use that to trigger the instrument, however, it will be awkward due to the default layout not making any sense in a 4x4, mapping it to your taste is really the way to go.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I don't know Maschine, but let me take a guess and maybe it will point you in the right direction.

It's possible you need to switch Maschine to 'Midi Mode', and then Logic will see it as a midi input device. (shift + project button)

I think adding it as a controller you are assigning it to Logic as a virtual mixing desk with transport control.

Studio Drummer is probably mapped to General Midi by default, so you would just assign the pads to those keys. Kick C1 etc.

• LeeTech
    LeeTech Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2023

I have the same problem. According to the article below: In the Manufacturer field, select Mackie Designs, and under Model select Mackie Control. That solved the control problem but the pads aren’t working even though they are mapped.

Setting up Your MASCHINE Controller for Host Transport Control in Logic Pro

• ProfessorChaos

Right, I can do that, and manually map all the pads to the drum elements, but I would've imagined, both Studio Drummer and the Maschine Mikro MK3 being Native Instruments products, that there would be a preset or project in it that would make that mapping as easy as selecting that preset, not require all that extra work.

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member

Ok I am not the longest user of Maschine and I don't know how different the MIKRO is from the MK3 or Plus but with my Plus I load Maschine 2, then load Kontakt (manually, not through browser) into a Group track, then go and select the Studio Drums and I can play them on the pads no problem, only in keyboard mode as Kontakt is an instrument that lives on one Pad rather than a drum rack. So select the first pad, switch to keyboard mode, then you octave down to C1 = BD and off you go...Hopefully :) Good luck

• Gee_Flat

I'm not sure why you would even want Maschine when you already own an S88. I'd rather lay down drums with a keyboard anyday.

What happens if you use Maschine software as a plugin in Logic? I'm guessing all Komplete instruments work when you use them as plugins in Maschine software. No?

• ProfessorChaos

You have to be the first person ever to ask that question. You would prefer playing drums on an S88 than the Mikro MK3? I doubt anyone would prefer that, but well, I don't, I prefer a pad, that's why I bought the Mikro.

And while you can play drums in an S88 MK2, it's much harder. The keys are the hardest to press of any keyboard I've ever tried, and it seems to me that unless they get faster and softer with time, they're not meant for hitting in very rapid sequence.

Hell, there are some very fast violin spiccatos that are rather hard on it, because the keys are not only a bit hard, they also tend to bounce, so if you have to do that with several keys at once, your spiccato turns into a crappato.

And that's another good use for the Mikro, just set it to MIDI mode and set the pads to the notes you want to play, and hit pads really fast. Much better than the bouncy keys of the S88.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

I know I’m not much help now, but “your spiccato turns into a crappato” made my day!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

This is how drumming is done. I've been doing it this way for 30 years. Didn't need a tutorial. It just comes naturally when you have MUSICAL TALENT. And every other talented and creative person I know does it this way.

https://youtu.be/rN0JhKhnovY

• D-One
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

@Gee_Flat said:

No need to be rude my friend, chill out. There are plenty of super dope finger drummers on Pad's out there too. It's completely subjective what's better or worst.

Mackie control is to emulate Mackie controllers, it has nothing to do with MIDI Mode to trigger instruments.

Host transport control is also unrelated, as the name says it's for controlling transport.

Not sure there could be a default mapping that works for everyone, Studio Drummer has 7+ octaves of different drums, almost 100 different things and Maschine only has 16 Pads... The instrument was never designed with 4x4 controllers as a priority, so if you like to pick where you kick, snare, hat, etc... are in the 4x4 matrix you gotta map it yourself.

You can MIDI Map in the instrument itself to the default MK3 MIDI mode template, or you can map the controller to the plugin using Controller Editor, the first option is probably much easier and faster.

Save the mapping as a default preset so you never have to do it again.

Note that each Group of the default controller map triggers a different octave, you can also use that to trigger the instrument, however, it will be awkward due to the default layout not making any sense in a 4x4, mapping it to your taste is really the way to go.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

Yeah, ok tough guy lol... when I'm being rude you'll know it.

I've been an Admin on many forums and chats, and having the ability to flex muscle is nothing more than a power trip. So lets forget the cancel culture and drop the "I'm offended by what you say so shut up and behave" attiitude.

It's divisive and the reason we have the problems we have in our culture today.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

LOL I just thought dude had a funny comment. Musical talent can be expressed in so many ways today. I’m a drummer so to me it comes more naturally to play both rhythmic and melodic instruments on PADS and not keys. Mr. Rude Moderator from other forums, just chill man. No one even tried to offend you, you can take your elitist musical talent bull crappatto and shove it down somewhere else. Stop flexing.

• Gee_Flat
  • D-One
    edited March 2023

Tough guy? I just politely asked you not to be rude toward other members, not flexing anything here... Who the heck flexes forum perms? geez, relax. I only hang here to help people not to start fights.

• ProfessorChaos

It's ok guys. I don't think you're rude, but rather a bit patronizing because of the MUSICAL TALENT in all caps. But I accept your opinion, no big deal.

But in the spirit of friendly discussion, let me answer to this:

Real drumming is done on drums. Real drums. Virtual drumming can be done on anything that makes you comfortable. If the MIDI piano keys are what works for you, that's great for you. I assume you have an S88 or similar high quality keyboard, because you can break cheaper ones drumming on them.

For me and a lot of people drumming is much easier on pads, because other than electronic drums where you have the same physical layout as a drum kit but you're hitting on large pads that trigger whatever sample or note it's programmed to, the next best thing is pads.

If you're playing real drums you're hitting the different components with your arms, hands and sticks. So you're hitting something, but different degrees of force. So the pads are kind of like that, without the sticks.

And the pads are simply faster for repeated hits, the keys, depending on the keyboard, are not. The S88 MK2 keys are great for many things, they are silent and well built. That's why I spent a fortune in it when I could've kept using my $320 Nektar one. But one thing they're not definitely built for is a rapid succession of hits like the hihat on some songs, or even the snare drum.

But whether you choose to play virtual drums on a MIDI keyboard or a pad device like the Mikro MK3 has nothing to do with musical talent.

• Gee_Flat

Well, you initially commented on something without having the complete picture. I like interacting with the professor, but he does like to bellyache... go ahead and peruse this. I'm not knocking him.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/10506/seriously-cant-we-make-kontakt-bigger/p2

This discussion has been closed.