Kontakt opens blank after migrating to a new PC

choomaque
choomaque Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I recently bought a new PC and migrated all of my musical-related stuff there.

I had noticed when I'm opening the project files created on my older PC, the Kontakt in particular, doesn't load the library that was saved in a porject file and opens blank instead.

Huge blocker.

How do I solve this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• EasyTiger32
    EasyTiger32 Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2023

I don't have an answer for your problem, but I can relate to it and maybe it will be helpful if I share what I did to produce it.

I have two PCs/DAWs; one is Windows 7 and the other is Windows 10. As far as the software (i.e. Cubase 9, Kontakt 6.5.3), VI libraries, and drive structure goes, they are clones of each other. I never had any problems swapping projects between them.

A few months ago, I bought some VI libraries that require Kontakt 6.7.1, which is a version not supported on Windows 7. I properly updated Kontakt to 6.7.1 on my Windows 10 PC, but to get Kontakt 6.7.1 running on my Windows 7 PC, I used the trick of copying the .exe, .dll, and other files from my Windows 10 PC to my Windows 7 PC.

Kontakt 6.7.1 works great on my Windows 7 PC except when I open Cubase projects created on my other PC. When I do that, all instances of Kontakt will open blank. I have to manually load all the instruments and edit their settings. It's a real PITA, but I figured it's just the price I have to pay for the unsanctioned Kontakt update method.

If you did a proper installation of Kontakt on the new machine, then I don't know what's causing your problem. But if you did an unsanctioned Kontakt update like the one above, that's at least one possible explanation for it.

• choomaque

I did perfectly normal installation through Native Access. No "swapping between the two PC's" shenanigans. Just using the newer one and abandoning the older one. It's a shame when a plugin costing a couple of hundred bucks per license has this issue, while the competitors (distributed for free) have none of that.

I will probably try that .exe spoof, maybe it will work.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

@EasyTiger32

Regarding this:

"Kontakt 6.7.1 works great on my Windows 7 PC except when I open Cubase projects created on my other PC. When I do that, all instances of Kontakt will open blank. I have to manually load all the instruments and edit their settings. It's a real PITA, but I figured it's just the price I have to pay for the unsanctioned Kontakt update method."

I think this is Cubase being crafty and loading a VST3 instead of VST2 you might've used on your W7 machine. If you make sure VST2 is being used to load your project, it should work. But VST2 to VST3 migration only works with Kontkat 7 (and you need the latest Cubase 12 for this to work properly IIRC).

• choomaque
    Answer ✓

Deleting VST3 and forcing the DAW to use VST2 instead solved the issue. Thanks.