map expression pedal to dynamics slider in Orchestral, Kontakt 7

Joop
Joop Member Posts: 12 Member

Dear all,

I'm new on this forum, but I could not find the answer to this question. I have the Kontakt 7 full version. I really like the orchestral tools, but I am looking for a way to tune the dynamics slider of the instruments. Default it is connected to the Modwheel, but I am playing an Yamaha electronic piano without a modwheel. And even then I would not have a hand free to use the modwheel. So I want to connect this to the expression pedal. Unfortunately the midi learn option does not work for this slider, just as the volume of the instrument does. I can map the expression pedal with a midi filter to cc 01 and that actually works. However I would like to do the tric inside Kontakt, such that I can change an individual instrument in a rack. So my question is: can I somehow connect the modwheel slider of 1 instrument in the rack to e.g. the CC 11?

regards,

Joop

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

You can use a multiscript to remap the MIDI CC to whatever you want. It's called Transformer:

You can also specify for which MIDI channel this transformation will be done, so in this way you can target one particular instrument if you want.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

I seem to remember reading that the dynamics slider doesn't react to the mod wheel visually. Can't find the thread.

Default is CC1 for modulation wheel and it controls the Dynamics, but that's as much as I know. Maybe someone else will reply.

In the Kontakt side pane you can choose the 'Automation' tab and monitor any activity from your expression pedal.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

Unfortunately this is hard wired in this library. Dynamics will always respond to MIDI CC1. The only way is to setyour keyboard's expression pedal to MIDI CC1, if that's possible. Otherwise it looks like the only workaround is the one you found already (the MIDI filter).

• Gee_Flat

I know I read a thread on the topic of that Dynamics slider, so what is the misinformation I spewed out. Was it that the slider can't be moved with a mouse?

• Joop

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the answer, I was already afraid for this, but now I do not have to look any further. Room for improvement :-)

regards,

Joop

• EvilDragon
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

You can use a multiscript to remap the MIDI CC to whatever you want. It's called Transformer:

You can also specify for which MIDI channel this transformation will be done, so in this way you can target one particular instrument if you want.

• Gee_Flat

They should rename that script to ... "MIDI CC to whatever you want".

All the other scripts in that list are self explanatory except that one.

• Joop

Hi EvilDragon,

thanks for your answer, so, it is possible after all!

cheers,

joop

• EvilDragon

No because that multiscript transforms other MIDI messages too, not just CCs. There's an explicitly named Remap CCs multiscript, which is more elaborate and a bit overkill if one just wants convert a single MIDI CC.