Play/Kontakt instruments with KK M32 keyboard?

Peter Harris
Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
edited February 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Has anyone figured out any tips for using Play instruments and other NI products using Kontakt libraries that use key switches to activate different voicings across multiple octaves with small keyboards like the M32?

I can't seem to figure out how to activate keys in the zero octave (C0 for example) where many of the modifiers seem to be triggered while also playing keys in higher octaves. Any ideas?

For example, some way to use the M+ pads as the modifiers while playing two other octaves on the M32? Or something else like that short of having to buy an S49 or higher for just that functionality? Fingers crossed! πŸ˜‰

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer βœ“

Yeah for small keyboards, keyswitches become kind of useless.

You should be able to use the Octave shift on the keyboard to shift down to the range without issue and activate the KS keys?

But if you don't want to have to do this all the time, you would need a second keyboard to act as a keyswitch keyboard. If you are tight on space, look into something like a Korg nanoKey which is tiny and perfect for this kind of thing, should almost fit on top of your M32 and could be dedicated for keyswitch operation. Not sure if Maschine can be used to do it as unsure if you can set the pad key range in MIDI Mode, never used it that way.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer βœ“

Yeah for small keyboards, keyswitches become kind of useless.

You should be able to use the Octave shift on the keyboard to shift down to the range without issue and activate the KS keys?

But if you don't want to have to do this all the time, you would need a second keyboard to act as a keyswitch keyboard. If you are tight on space, look into something like a Korg nanoKey which is tiny and perfect for this kind of thing, should almost fit on top of your M32 and could be dedicated for keyswitch operation. Not sure if Maschine can be used to do it as unsure if you can set the pad key range in MIDI Mode, never used it that way.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

That's a great idea. I never thought of trying that. I have a Roli Lumi two-octave keyboard I could use for the switches and then use the m32 for the notes.