Differences between s88 mk1 and s88 mk2

Kator
Kator Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase a used s88 mk1 and I would like to know the major differences between the 2 keyboards.

Is the key feel different ?

Is the mk1 compatible with the latest version of NI software ?

I purchased Komplete 14 ultimate recently.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

Pretty sure its approx the same really

Yes

Main differences are the obvious one, the screens which if you like to browse from the keyboard make a huge difference, the extra DAW control such as mixer control and the switching of the touch strips to physical MOD/Pitch wheels, tho I feel you actually lose functionality here and I kind of prefer the touch strips myself because there are some things you can do there than you cannot on the wheels.

Just be wary the 88 key is a more mechanical keyboard and therefore, depending on ow hard and how long someone has been using it there could be some audible signs of usage of some keys. For the confident, you can open and service the keyboard with new damper felt and lubrication to get it back to shape, but just something to be aware of over synth-action keys which don't require as much attention.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

Pretty sure its approx the same really

Yes

Main differences are the obvious one, the screens which if you like to browse from the keyboard make a huge difference, the extra DAW control such as mixer control and the switching of the touch strips to physical MOD/Pitch wheels, tho I feel you actually lose functionality here and I kind of prefer the touch strips myself because there are some things you can do there than you cannot on the wheels.

Just be wary the 88 key is a more mechanical keyboard and therefore, depending on ow hard and how long someone has been using it there could be some audible signs of usage of some keys. For the confident, you can open and service the keyboard with new damper felt and lubrication to get it back to shape, but just something to be aware of over synth-action keys which don't require as much attention.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

The keybeds are different. I cannot compare how much different. I saw videos where people say, new one is better.

I have mk1 and I am satisfied. But it is mine first hammer keybed experience, so nothing to compare with....

• Kator
    Kator Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks for your answers !