How to change preset / macro page in Komplete Kontrol with 3rd party controller or computer keyboard

feooo
feooo Member Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I've wasted far too many hours of my life trying to get KK software to do the most basic of things. All I want to be able to change preset without using the mouse.

Afaik its not possible with the computer keyboard, you can press the up and down arrow which moves the selection, it plays the preview sound but there is no way to actually change to this preset. I have tried all the reasonable keyboard keys.

There is also a Midi learn function. I am an Ableton Live user and I am able to map the 8 knobs to midi cc message and these go from my midi controller, through ableton and then onto KK.

However there is a second page for mapping buttons to preset up/down page left right etc. I have found no method of getting KK to listen to momentary midi CC messages to controller these functions from a midi controller device when acting as a plugin inside Ableton Live

It works in stand alone mode, I have to select my controller as a midi input in the KK settings but this midi input settings page is only available with in standalone mode.

It blows my mind that a company with this much fantastic sounding plugins has such a horrible software experience unless you buy their hardware controllers. I have no space for a NI midi controller in my studio

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@feooo You should be able to do MIDI assignments even inside Ableton, make sure that your MIDI controller is selected as an input for your Komplete Kontrol track or that you selected "All ins".

You should check on your MIDI controller how to set up switches/toggles as these functions will not respond well to continuous CC MIDI messages.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited February 2023

The software was intended as an onscreen companion for Komplete keyboards.

The fact that it is also a free download for anyone to use, and that you are not forced to use it, makes your hubris come off as nothing more than entitled posturing.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

However there is a second page for mapping buttons to preset up/down page left right etc. I have found no method of getting KK to listen to momentary midi CC messages to controller these functions from a midi controller device when acting as a plugin inside Ableton Live

Have you tried to first go into Lives preferences and for your MIDI controller have you enables the "Track" option for MIDI IN for the MIDI device you have?

It works in stand alone mode, I have to select my controller as a midi input in the KK settings but this midi input settings page is only available with in standalone mode.

This is because when you are loaded within a DAW plugins do not have direct access to any MIDI device, the DAW has access and plugins can then receive whatever signals the DAW has selected as being available in the preferences of the DAW. THis is why you do not see the MIDI page within Live.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@feooo You should be able to do MIDI assignments even inside Ableton, make sure that your MIDI controller is selected as an input for your Komplete Kontrol track or that you selected "All ins".

You should check on your MIDI controller how to set up switches/toggles as these functions will not respond well to continuous CC MIDI messages.