Initial Connection Problems

Jiggus
Jiggus Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi Everyone:

Apologies for the newbie question, but I am really in need of advice. I am just trying to use the free products, for example Komplete Kontrol, before purchasing anything. I am completely lost when trying to hook up my MIDI controller keyboard through my sound interface and into the software.

I have an old Yamaha PF80 that I (want to) use as a MIDI controller. I have used it before about 15 years ago, but maybe things have changed. I have it connected via MIDI to a MOTU M4 sound interface. The sound interface is connected via USB to my computer. Komplete Kontrol detects the MOTU M4 and also a generic Microsoft GS Wavetable synth as MIDI outputs and only the MOTU M4 as a MIDI input.

The only sound I can hear is when I set the output in Komplete Kontrol to the Wavetable synth, but then it only plays a piano sound all the time, no matter what instrument or loop is connected. And the latency is quite terrible. I honestly have no idea what is going on. Is it possible to connect this old keyboard to this software? Maybe Komplete Kontrol is not what I should be trying to connect to? What am I doing wrong? Your expertise and patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Jiggus

Best Answer

• Jiggus
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy:

I have solved the problem. I am now using NI through Cubase. The settings for physical ports one and two were incorrect. Should have been set to three and four for sound through my stereo speakers. When they are set to one and two, I only get sound through the headphones. I would assume that using NI stand alones would be the same settings, therefore.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Jiggus

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro

Your description is a bit confusing in that you say your keyboard is connected to the MOTU but that the MOTU is connected to the computer via USB, so are there two USB ports on the MOTU or are you using traditional MIDI cables to the MOTU from the keyboard? If so you'd likely need to configure the MOTU for passthrough MIDI if that's possible.

Generally I connect my keyboards directly to the PC via USB connectors as a MIDI controller/piano doesn't need an audio interface, is just needs a MIDI USB connection and depends on the instrument selected in Komplete Kontakt to play the sounds. The Microsoft GS Wavetable is the default MIDI synth and sound module so that's why it's playing the piano because you're just sending analog piano to the PC, not MIDI. Your MOTU should have it's own device for sound and would be something like ASIO or WASAPI listed in your Audio options in Komplete Kontrol preferences which is what you would select for the MIDI to play through it.

Ultimately what you're doing wrong is not reading the manual to figure out how this is all supposed to be configured.

• Jiggus

Thanks DunedinDragon.

There is only one USB port on the MOTU. I don't mind reading the manual, but which manual? The MOTU one is quite basic. The download of the Komplete Start free software does not have any manuals along with it. Sorry if that is a stupid question but it is sincere.

I am using ASIO for the MOTU.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

I have an old Yamaha PF80 that I (want to) use as a MIDI controller. I have used it before about 15 years ago, but maybe things have changed. 

Nah, nothing in MIDI has changed in 30+ years

So if you have a keyboard attached to your audio interface via a MIDI cable, you should simply need to open the preferences in Komplete Kontrol and select the MOTU MIDI INPUT as the midi device in the Input section of the preferences >MIDI. Just be sure your keyboard is set to Channel 1 as I am pretty sure only channel 1 will work.

The fact you have sound when you set the Wavetable output is a sign you have MIDI input working (tho as mentioned, that is the default General Midi Device so don't set that as an output).

• Jiggus

Thank you JesterMgee:

This sounds more promising. I will investigate the channel setting on the old keyboard.

J

• Jiggus

Well, I still don't hear a sound, but I have a signal coming in on the meter when I play a note. This was not happening before. Any ideas? This was using Kontakt 7 through Komplete Kontrol. It is promising, but still no sounds.

• Jiggus

Actually, I hear a sound, but it is only when I plug headphones into the MOTU M4 sound module. I have speakers connected to it, as well, but they remain silent. Why would this be?

Thank you.

J

• Jiggus

I should add, all computer sounds come from the speakers connected to the MOTU 4 sound interface. The only sounds that don't are the Native Instruments ones, which only go through the headphone output. I just cannot figure out why.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

Have you checked in the Komplete Kontrol Audio Preferences, possibly KK is selecting the headphone output instead of the main output?

• Jiggus

Shows as follows:

Port

1:Out 1

2:Out 2

3:Out 3

4:Out 4

It is a mystery, but at least I have a partial success, I suppose. Thank you.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

Can you post a screenshot of your audio preferences in Komplete Kontrol?

• Jiggus
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy:

I have solved the problem. I am now using NI through Cubase. The settings for physical ports one and two were incorrect. Should have been set to three and four for sound through my stereo speakers. When they are set to one and two, I only get sound through the headphones. I would assume that using NI stand alones would be the same settings, therefore.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Jiggus