Lock on a macro knob

WarriorLite
WarriorLite Member Posts: 67 Member
edited March 2023 in Maschine

Is there a way to stick to the macros without jumping to other channels and menues each time you trigger a clip elsewhere?

It is managedable to jump back to the track with Jam but sometimes the menu focus also crosses out to other things, so it is two steps to be taken.

Essentially, locking the macro knobs and at least one of the screens would be useful, also when overdubbing a long repetitive midi clip so that you are sure where you are.

As I think of it, the bar position indicator may be of use at least to most contexts.

Do you have any tricks / workarounds to share?

Comments

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Not sure this fixes your problem exactly but keep in mind you can set macros on all levels: sound, group and master. So at least ones on the master would be relatively easy to get to from other screens.

• WarriorLite

OK, I didn't know, thanks. Master would be optimal as independent from which track you're on. Unless master macros are reserved for master effects.

• WarriorLite

Also it would help to have 'the keyboard' and 'pads' lockable, or else, when recording some midi, you can do nothing (trigger, mute, tweak) on other tracks or the recording stops and playback starts.

Devs have got it partly right already by letting pressed pads sound when changing tracks, so as a minimum, if the recording did not stop, you jump elsewhere and tweak and return to recording.

This blends performance and recording which is a great thing.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023

There's no perfect workaround altho solutions like what Peter said or switching to MIDI Mode (with mapped macros) then back can help diminish the number of clicks. For me, the best solution is to have an extra external small MIDI controller mapped to your macros, this way no matter where you are you can always control them.

People have been asking to unlock controllers from following each other for many years, especially since Jam came out as well as locking a sound/group to a specific controller. Maschine's focus/record system is a bit unique due to it never being originally intended for more than 1 official controller, it's really baked into the core of the software...

No Arm-to-record like in more traditional DAW's results in faster workflow for producing (doing 1 thing at a time) but fails in giving recording detail for more performance-oriented users; it's a trade-off related to the history of the SW an the intended usage of most users.

Also it would help to have 'the keyboard' and 'pads' lockable, or else, when recording some midi, you can do nothing (trigger, mute, tweak) on other tracks or the recording stops and playback starts.

Devs have got it partly right already by letting pressed pads sound when changing tracks, so as a minimum, if the recording did not stop, you jump elsewhere and tweak and return to recording.

I don't have this experience, I can Mute just fine while recording since it's something MAS does not record, is this happening because of Jam? Never heard of Record auto-stoping.

• WarriorLite

That covers a lot of ground. Yes, I have noticed Jam drags and is dragged around. What a waste it was dropped because it makes a hell of a difference for M+ workflow. Most essentially, by enabling you to select any combination of patterns instantanenously, it lets you do arrangements plus fx tweaking inbetween on the fly rather than having to commit to scenes - and even to fixed patterns or there would be change to one group at a time. As a result, the track can and will be different because you play it rather than replay. Something Elektron Analog Rytm excels in as well.

I think with Jam, you're getting a MPC Live Force (and the design&materials would not need a revamp in 10 years) but since it was not considered early enough for Maschine, and it is not anymore, good to know.

Looks like I missed / misunderstood the part about the MIDI mode. Will have a look.

Thanks a lot both.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2023

No prob.

I was never really a fan of Jam as a product but even for me, who didn't like it, if Jam was released now it would make a lot more sense since the M+ brought a new fresh wave of users who can really benefit a lot from having a second dedicated controller for their standalone... the KK-S series can also help a bit but Jam has a ton more machine specific functionality.

• WarriorLite

Yes, a keyboard - for those who can play is a great addition. Still, I believe that while playing you would not tweak a different track, for which you might want this old behringer bcr-2000 encoder station.

That is where the concept of blackbox - a "touchscreen" with a battery of ins and outs to which you'll connect a keyboard, drum pads and a bcr - starts to shine. By NI of course, with Komplete and 32 gig RAM :)