Does Sound Blaster work with Ashlight?

Im trying to offload processing from the cpu to an internal sound card on my desktop.

Using Ashlight is no longer pegging the cpu, but Im getting a slight buzz and delay (only about 1 second), so I thought I'd ask if an internal sound card would offload some of the processing chore from the cpu.

Tagged:

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

1 second in terms of latency when trying to play something on a keyboard is a HUGE delay. Most complain when there is more than about 10mS of delay.

I assume you are simply using your on-board audio interface built into your MOBO?

Would help to know a bit about what DAW you are using, what your system specs are etc.

But in short, yes a dedicated audio interface designed for real-time processing would likely help. I am stepping around saying it "will" help because I have not heard of the old Sound Blaster audio device since Windows 98 but assume that is simply a term you are using for the on-board audio

The best option these days is a USB audio interface such as RME or Apollo or something that fits your budget, has the I/O you need and offers ASIO drivers. I'd steer clear of Behringer for this mostly because in the past they did not offer dedicated ASIO drivers, rather asked you to use Asio4All which may also work for you, but a dedicated interface will be the better option and should easily help reduce latency while also improving performance.

• thecomputerguy
    thecomputerguy Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Thanks for your response!

My computer is an Alienware Area 51. Its an i7, has 16GB of ram with an Nvidia RTX 2060 video card, which is my primary sound card.

Sound Blaster is still around and they still make add-in sound cards.

Do you think if I added a discrete sound processor, the SB card, that would offload enough processing to prevent the lag I'm seeing with just the CPU and video card?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Can't say as I have no idea what "lag" you are seeing. Is it visual lag, crackling of audio, slow response, delay in audio from pressing a key...?

A Dedicated interface would never hurt, usually it is recommended, but cannot say if it will fix your problem.

• thecomputerguy
    thecomputerguy Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

When I move the cursor from the middle of Ashlight upwards and across the upper right angle of the square in Ashlight, as soon as I cross the line, there is a crackle and a buzz and the cpu pins.