Guitar Rig 6 Plugin two versions? FX or MFX

NeonBlackCat
NeonBlackCat Member Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2023 in Guitar Rig & FX

Hej there

Neither the official PDF nor the web could answer so far. When loading GR6 in Logic you can choose either a "FX" or "MFX" version (other NI plugins are also named MFX, none however FX).

Loading both doesn't seem to make a difference, so what are those?

cheers

Tagged:

Best Answers

• toddkc
    toddkc Member Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

I think one supports MIDI. Looks like this may be a specific thing for Logic?

• NeonBlackCat
    Answer ✓

Thank you toddkc.

If this is true, it’s awkward that nothing of this has been mentioned in the numerous manuals of GR, if this exited at least sind version 2!

FX is some midi automation, MFX is even more midi?

Anyways, I think this solves the question for now. And NI: pls mention it in the manuals for the love of confusion solving. :)

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

What DAW and OS… there is a possibility that they are two different plugin versions. Load each one and check the version numbers of each. They may have changed the plugin descriptor of the newer version. If that is the case, you want to remove the older version from the scan path…it also may be that one is a 32bit plugin and one is a 64bit if your DAW supports 32 bit!

• toddkc
    toddkc Member Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

I think one supports MIDI. Looks like this may be a specific thing for Logic?

• NeonBlackCat
    Answer ✓

Thank you toddkc.

If this is true, it’s awkward that nothing of this has been mentioned in the numerous manuals of GR, if this exited at least sind version 2!

FX is some midi automation, MFX is even more midi?

Anyways, I think this solves the question for now. And NI: pls mention it in the manuals for the love of confusion solving. :)

• Steven L Smith
    Steven L Smith Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2023

I think typically the MFX versions are capable of responding to MIDI Notes and Controllers. The FX version only responds to Controllers. However, I just stumbled across your question because it dawned on me that I am unaware of any Guitar Rig 6 Presets that respond to MIDI Notes. I will be exploring this further. If I discover any GR6 functions that respond to MIDI Notes I will add an additional post.

• mattz
    mattz Member Posts: 3 Member

I think you're on the right track here with Midi being the "M" in "MFX". Using GR6 as an AU in Ableton, I could not send midi patch change messages to the FX version, but I could to the MFX.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

The link to the old forum is gone, and when I searched the on-line GR7 manual for MFX, there is no info about the 2 plug-in versions. I'm currently trying to use my MIDI footcontroller in Logic without success. @Eddie_NI , can this info be added to the manual?

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 355 mod

In Logic, AUs can be FX (for insert FX) or MFX (which you load in the Instrument slot). MFX needs to get its audio from a sidechain but the MFX allows for MIDI messages to be sent to it. In Logic, you can’t send MIDI messages to an insert FX.

Other DAWs seem to not be as strict about that distinction though.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

I wonder if Logic 10.8 has also changed that?

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023

It looks like maybe MFX is not a thing anymore in Logic? GR MFX is gone at least (although older ones like Absynth and Reaktor MFX are still there)

I just tried MIDI learning a GR knob though and nothing happened so not sure - it looks like if they intend for normal FX to be MIDI capable now there is work to be done in the plugins to make that happen too?

• Eddie_NI

It looks like Logic does not allow users to use the MFX (MIDI controlled effects) anymore in the "Audio FX" slot but only in the "Instrument" slot. This is very worrying, we are looking into it.

• Kymeia

Yeah you’d think they’d at least have sent round a memo to other MFX devs explaining what’s happening

• Eddie_NI

Good news!

Apple released the Logic 10.8.1 update yesterday which fixes the bug that you can't load MFX as Audio FX. So now all your projects with Guitar Rig should load fine again.

• Kymeia
    edited December 2023

Not fixed though, I don’t know why they think it is when they still put dozens of MIDI controlled effects in the Instruments menu, so they can no longer be inserted on an instrument track like they are meant to (you can route between tracks but it’s clunky)

• Eddie_NI
    edited December 2023

Sorry for the confusion, it seems like they only addressed the issue partially.

You should now be able in 10.8.1 to load a project with a Guitar Rig MFX in an Audio FX slot that was saved with a Logic version earlier than 10.8.