CC#? For midi automation of pitch bend w/Electric Sunburst Session Guitarist?

Kev SF
Kev SF Member Posts: 19 Member

Hello, 

I'm trying to change the automation of a pitch bend on the Electric Sunburst Kontakt instrument. I've recorded a particular note via midi with the pitchbend, but the bend goes up instead of down. I'd just like to find the method of simply drawing-in or rewriting the opposite automation for the mod wheel's movement. But I can't find the CC# to bring up the parameter graphically in LUNA.

Thanks,

Kev

Best Answer

• Kev SF
    Answer ✓

This answer was provided on a Universal Audio LUNA forum:

For your midi track, click on the velocity icon at the top of the track, the three thin lines with a dot on top of each "IiI" just to the left of Q (Q brings up a Quantization window, not relevant here).

Clicking on the "IiI" velocity icon will not only bring up the velocity switches beneath the midi instrument track (larger versions of the thin lines with dots on top which are control points that allow you to move the velocities of each note up or down), but it will also make a velocity button rectangle appear in the blank gray area under the track name and view/auto just before the beginning of the track.

Clicking on the rectangular button that says 'velocity' brings up the correct listing at far left of all the automatable midi parameters. Those parameters that have been used will appear in yellow. Those unused will appear in white type.

There is a "General" category of midi parameters and two CCs categories. Velocity, Aftertouch, and Pitch Bend all appear under the General Heading. Clicking on Pitch Bend in Yellow in the list switches-in an editable control line underneath the track in place of the vertical lines with the dots on top that are used for editing Velocity. Now that the control line for Pitch Bend is under the track, that control line can be edited to affect the corresponding midi note in the track above.

Kev

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    edited March 2023

Hello,

in this video the list on the left does it show pitch bend somewhere for you so you can open the automation lane? And most daws have a function where you can show all automation that are in use, i don't own luna so i can't try myself.

https://youtu.be/tcKO9q0QmT0

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

But in reality, no guitar note is going down unless you have a whammy bar. ☺️ If you can't find a way, you can always play the note you want to bend down to with Pitch up full. IF bending A down to G, play a G note with pitchwheel starting on A.

I do like to set my KFL guitars pitchbend down to -12 or -2 to acheive that whammy effect.

• Kev SF

Thanks for the comments.

I've automated volume and various effects in Luna already. Those are easy to see in the listing at left in Luna for automation controls.

But in using the S61 MK2 NI controller - in using the mod wheel to control the pitch bend both up and down with Electric Sunburst Session Guitarist, I see no listing specifically for the mod wheel/pitch bend in the automation listing. And there are 400+ CC #s.

Since clearly the mod wheel pitch bend of the guitar note did record via midi (and the instrument track remains midi) it must be an automatable midi parameter, no?

Thanks again, Kev

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

Sorry, but your wheel terminology threw me off. Anyway, you can absolutley draw in pitchbend in any DAW. But I think it will only bend as far as the instrument pitch is set.

If you can get into edit mode, you should be able to set the bend at source level.

• Kev SF

yes, thank you. I do believe that the matter should be easy. Once I know where to go. However, I don't know where to go. And I don't see 'edit mode' anywhere, and I'm not even sure where you are suggesting I look for edit mode. Generally in Luna once the particular type of midi automation is selected, a editable line appears in the track. I'm sure there must be one for pitch bend. But I do not see it.

Thanks,

Kev

• Gee_Flat

The instrument can't be edited.

From the manual section 3.1 Playing Melodies :

The bend drop-down menu offers the standard pitchbend mode (All), as well as a unique mode where only specific notes (lowest, highest, softest, loudest, latest note) in a voicing are affected by the pitch bend. This enables the emulation of specific playing techniques on guitars where only some of the played strings are bent and others, e.g., open strings retain their original pitch.

• Kev SF

I'm not interested in editing the instrument. Only the midi information that is causing the incorrect pitch bend.

I should mention that I am getting weird pitch bend effects when using the modwheel in real time. They warble or go up or down at random, rather than obeying precisely what I am doing with the modwheel. That's why I'd like to control the modwheel midi/automation via drawing or Bézier curves/control points.

Kev

• Uwe303
    edited March 2023

PB and MW are standard midi messages, and not listed under the host automation parameters,normally a daw has a sub category for standard midi parameters like CC1; CC2;.. and of course MW and PB should be listed there.

• Uwe303

Automation – Universal Audio Support Home (uaudio.com)

under: Automating a MIDI Continuous Controller

• Kev SF
    Answer ✓

This answer was provided on a Universal Audio LUNA forum:

For your midi track, click on the velocity icon at the top of the track, the three thin lines with a dot on top of each "IiI" just to the left of Q (Q brings up a Quantization window, not relevant here).

Clicking on the "IiI" velocity icon will not only bring up the velocity switches beneath the midi instrument track (larger versions of the thin lines with dots on top which are control points that allow you to move the velocities of each note up or down), but it will also make a velocity button rectangle appear in the blank gray area under the track name and view/auto just before the beginning of the track.

Clicking on the rectangular button that says 'velocity' brings up the correct listing at far left of all the automatable midi parameters. Those parameters that have been used will appear in yellow. Those unused will appear in white type.

There is a "General" category of midi parameters and two CCs categories. Velocity, Aftertouch, and Pitch Bend all appear under the General Heading. Clicking on Pitch Bend in Yellow in the list switches-in an editable control line underneath the track in place of the vertical lines with the dots on top that are used for editing Velocity. Now that the control line for Pitch Bend is under the track, that control line can be edited to affect the corresponding midi note in the track above.

Kev