How to choose between VST2 and VST3 installation of NI Product plugins? (or have both)

CT Blaze
CT Blaze Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited February 2022 in Native Access

It seems nowadays, by default, VST3 plugins of NI products are pushed to Windows VST folders (actually, I have given NI Access a sepcific custom VST folder), when a NI product is installed via NI Access.

How can I control for each product, WHICH version of VST is being copied where,

OR where can get manually get to the VST2 and VST3 versions of the NI product plugins respectively, to use them somewhere else (in another software).

I really do not appreciate if the user does not have control over these things (any longer).

Context: I am installing Maschine and Komplete 12, and just realized that other software, that requires VST2 still, does not handle the NI procudt plugins well.

Thank you and kind regards,

Carsten

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Native Access installs all versions of Plugins by default and cannot be altered. VST2 plugin installation location is modifiable in Native Access preferences, but note it is global and will install all VST2 to the same location unless you change that location for each individual install. I would recommend not doing that as having VSTs in one location makes troubleshoot and registering in a DAW much easier (you only need one scan path) for VST3 the location is hardcoded and cannot be modified as it appears to be an industry standard. (Program Files\Common Files\VST3). Cannot comment on VST2 not working well in other Software as I have never had an issue with them!

Answers

• CT Blaze

uhm, seems it's still the DLLs of VST2 version copied to the custom folder specified in NI Access config.

BUT I have found a bug ,since the VST3 version are still copied and registered to \Program Files\Common Files\VST3 which is NOT desired outcome when one spcifies a custom folder for VST in NI Access.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Native Access installs all versions of Plugins by default and cannot be altered. VST2 plugin installation location is modifiable in Native Access preferences, but note it is global and will install all VST2 to the same location unless you change that location for each individual install. I would recommend not doing that as having VSTs in one location makes troubleshoot and registering in a DAW much easier (you only need one scan path) for VST3 the location is hardcoded and cannot be modified as it appears to be an industry standard. (Program Files\Common Files\VST3). Cannot comment on VST2 not working well in other Software as I have never had an issue with them!

• CT Blaze
    edited February 2022

OK thanks for enlightening me on this. Hardcoded is never good - I use custom locations to keep OS and apps and data seprarated, mainly for backup purposes ;)

• BigG
    BigG Member Posts: 7 Member

How do I get Komplete Kontrol to reappear in VST2 plugin folder in Ableton? I have not now have VST and VST3 options and no VST2ootion and all my VST2 Komplete Kontrol sounds don’t load in my existing Ableton projects! Help?…

• alex9
    alex9 Member Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 23

Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Could you elaborate since when it became an industry standard to write user content into system location?

Edit: Ah, sorry, I thought you are NI staff. Nevermind then.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,613 mod
    edited March 23

I am not staff either , but I can point you to Steinberg's help page on VST plug-in locations on Windows :

Quote : helpcenter.steinberg.de : VST3 Plug-in path

The VST3 format has a dedicated installation path all VST3 plug-ins must comply with. All your VST3 plug-ins should be installed here:

Format   Path   Extension

VST3   C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3   .vst3

As for when then please take a look at the Virtual Studio Technology page on Wikipedia and other information that you can find on the internet !

• alex9

I understand that Steinberg has such requirement but it was not my point. The question is why such requirement ever been considered. Storing user content in system folder is a call for troubles.

Now any vst3 provider asks for admin rights. Even such big companies like NI are unable to implement installer properly due to that leave alone an average joe.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,327 mod
    edited March 24

It is like this, since ages.

What do you mean: "Now any vst3 provider asks for admin rights"?

I never see anything like that, this operation is supposed to be automatically. At least for every app who is certified (and almost all major developers, are). Also for all those apps who has the "shield" icon.

For the rest, you can use the "run as administrator" command. Which by the way is a very-very rare case for installations. Unless if you are one of those few users who still running their own machines as guest users with limited rights (which is not just pointless and incomprehensible but also an obsolete tactic).

Either way, it is what it is and it was a good choice, so I don't understand the point of your question... Neither there is an answer... Program Files\Common Files\VST3 it is like an "international standard" since long ago.

Also:

Storing user content in system folder is a call for troubles.

This is highly questionable (it might be correct for new and inexperienced users) but... VST3 plugins are NOT "user content"!

• alex9

I don't understand the point of your question

Then you should not attempt to answer such questions. You have zero software engineering experience so this question is not for you, sorry.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,327 mod
    edited March 26

Actually, you have absolutely no idea about what kind of experience i have. That's a fact.

Second fact is, that you asking something on a public forum, so any member can answer.

Third fact is, that many members can actually have some knowledge about software engineering without been developers.

Fact four is that, the very nature of your question "since when it became an industry standard to write user content into system location?" shows total ignorance about how things are. As a said VST3 plugins are NOT "user content"!

So, in order to get some answer, you have to declare the point of your question, i.e. what exactly do you want to know.

Otherwise you are in the wrong place and you should contact Steinberg's engineers and ask them, though i seriously doubt that you get any answer...

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 913 Guru

Well I have plenty of software engineering experience so ask away.

I am confident between the standards set by Microsoft and Steinberg years ago and those same standards are the ones that Native Instruments abides by - we can all get along.

VP

• alex9

Well I have plenty of software engineering experience so ask away.

I already did.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 913 Guru

Glad you got your answer.

Mods - probably time to close this thread as well.

VP