Why does the S4MK3 still not have MIDI mode?

Answers

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,651 mod

Not sure what is the point of midi mode when you cannot edit it but yeah. I don't own these controllers to test myself but many users reported this issue about removed midi mode, and I know in fact that it was in Controller Manager once. Either way it is not looking good and it is not an upgrade when compared to MK2 version. Really strange decisions of the makers.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Then these are still class compliant in midi mode but not editable... isn't it @Mark_NI ?

I also read somewhere the rumour about losing midi anywhere and I try to pointing it as is (rumour) any time someone brings the "issue" because I couldn't find a clear statement about it until this post. I will appreciate the official info you can bring about that change (what, how, why?) so I could spread better info for the future and understand what's going on.

These changes without proper explanation hurt trust and sometimes without any need like it seems this time. It seemed NI removing features but from the discussion now it seems only changing how these features are delivered. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Thanks a lot!

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

Look at available controller drivers or the ones installed when updating. The S4mk3 is not an option. It is built in to Traktor.

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod

I am not quite sure whether I understand you correctly. By default, the S4MK3 uses the Windows system driver WASAPI (Exckusive). If you prefer an ASIO driver, you will find it on your computer as well:

I Cannot Find the ASIO Driver for My TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK3 / S4 MK3 / S3 (Windows)

• Iceman the Dj
    Iceman the Dj Member Posts: 29 Member

I gues that some people don't understand that the driver is only for audio and has nothing to do with MIDI! Also as I see I can mapp most controls of S4 mk3 inside Traktor. My complain was not being able to select effects. Now I mapped the FX knobs + Shift to select effects and the FX buttons to some FX presets/combinations that I use often so I can recal quicly! It would be nice to be able to use the controller also for some controls in my DAW but that's it... 

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 582 Pro

What I mean is that the S4mk3 is different and that the automated driver selected is one of the differences. I guess it doesn't impact mapping, I guess it was off topic and confusing. Sorry.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

It’s still confusing guys…

Since mk2 versions were updated to be class compliant (audio) but midi (or HID) in iOS only was available to NI iOS apps (hese were compatible with Traktor dj app firstly and later to Traktor 2 dj app) but s2/3 mk3 only were compatible with Traktor 2 dj app in first instance but later got midi driver (making it possible use Djay Pro) any change needed explanation to avoid spread missinformation.

If S2/3 mk3 are still midi class compliant and the only thing changed was “customization” is one thing very different to “midi mode has been removed” as it seemed by the rumour.

S4 mk2 was full class compliant and had midi mode but mk3 seems a bit more complicated due screens (motorised platters should not be an issue since Rane One can work with Djay Pro) and it’s still not clear what’s its state and if it will be a chance to use it with iOS devices or not.

Usually class compliant means audio and midi but NI made iOS users need to specify thanks to implement their midi/hid drivers inside the apps with mfi policy.

I’m glad finally NI devicesnare getting full specs but some pedagogy is required to clear missinformation.

Please @Mark_NI put some extra light in this topic.

• MichaelK_NI
    MichaelK_NI Product Team Posts: 60 mod
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Hi everybody,

let me quickly add some insights here. We did not remove MIDI implementation off of the S2 MK3, S3 or S4 MK3. The facts are the following:

S2 and S3 have what we call native MIDI support. These two units have a specific MIDI control assigned to each button and knob on the device as part of their firmware. This eliminated the need to use the Controller Editor for these units. Unfortunately this also removes the option to change the Note or CC that a specific control is sending.

Bottom line, these devices send MIDI but do not support customisability of what kind of messages are being send.

S4 MK3 has never supported MIDI in the first place. This has been a decision we needed to take back during the development process due to the increased architectural complexity of the product.

I hope this has cleared things up a bit 😁.

cheers from Berlin

Michael

• Stevan

Thanks for the insight. With S4 MK3 being not MIDI capable, could we have more Global MIDI controls so we are able to output from Traktor and send to other MIDI capable software in that way?

Just want to have more use of my hardware out of Traktor and only 8 does not cut it.

• MichaelK_NI
    MichaelK_NI Product Team Posts: 60 mod

@Stevan what number are you thinking of? :)

• Stevan

@MichaelK_NI I am referring to the number of each of Global MIDI controls that were introduced with S8 performance section remapping. (MIDI Buttons, Knobs and Faders)

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,722 mod

The # of modifiers (8) as well as their range (0-7) could easily be extended to something like 50 x (0-127).

That would not only be incredibly uncomplicated, compared to other tasks at hand, but also extremely helpful for mapping anything and everything. 🦋😎🦋

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
    edited February 2023

THIS

the quickest way to add value to customers is simply to give more of everything.

Not to code new features.

eg: more modifiers, more modifier bits, more conditions, more FX units, access to 9x mixerFX without sending mouse clicks to the prefs window, merging TP2 macroFX in TP3 mixerFX, and vice-versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BURM7l6_pvg

• Stevan

10 year ago was the original request for modifiers^

Never had a singe response from NI about it. I can add another device, it slows down the opening/closing/saving times bit it works.

On the other side, the S4 MK3 is useless outside Traktor for me (I don't count other DJ software) so adding more global midi controls would make the S4 more capable in MIDI.

• Stevan