Can I maintain full velocity range (1-127) but reduce the volume range of 1-127?

johnlewisgrant
johnlewisgrant Member Posts: 7 Member

Can I maintain full velocity range (1-127) but reduce the volume range of 1-127? Using kontakt 5 and various piano vsts, which make samples in the 96-127 range too loud..

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

why you just don´t lower the level of the instrument and maybe additionally change the velocity curve, some instruments have that option.

• johnlewisgrant

"why you just don´t lower the level of the instrument and maybe additionally change the velocity curve, some instruments have that option."

Doesn't produce the same result. The aim is to preserve the velocity curve as is, but to have the louder notes play quieter. Adjusting the vel curve results in DIFFERENT velocity samples/layers being played, not the SAME layers being played, but with less volume (thus preserving the timbre distinctions between notes played fff and, say, ff.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

If you can edit the instruments you could change the vel to amp\vol, otherwise i don´t know how to do that without altering audio in some way. Like compression, this should do the job but has side effects, an expander should also work.

• johnlewisgrant

effects/convolution includes a volume edit that allows users to increase or decrease the loudness of the effect as it decays. That’s (one) example of how it might be accomplished.

This adjustment doesn’t exist for velocities in Kontakt, however. Only effects like convolution.

orchestral tools’ grand VST used to have an adjustment that provided a very basic way of adjusting velocity relative to volume.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

I would have thought that, as Uwe says, a velocity curve adjustment, if present, is there for precisely the purpose you describe. In a well-programmed instrument I would expect all the samples to be used, and only the volume to be adjusted, which unless I have misunderstood, is what you want.

If you're quite sure this is not the case, and you have access to editing, you can always add a modulation shaper to the velocity/volume modulator in (all) the Amplifier modules. If you do this and save the instrument be sure to give it a new name. (You interfere with these heavily scripted libraries at your peril)

• johnlewisgrant

"I would have thought that, as Uwe says, a velocity curve adjustment, if present, is there for precisely the purpose you describe. In a well-programmed instrument I would expect all the samples to be used, and only the volume to be adjusted, which unless I have misunderstood, is what you want."

I've not been clear.

Example: Orchestral Tools' Grand vst (a sampled Steinway D) has BOTH a velocity curve adjustment AND what amounts to a loudness compression adjustment. The latter simply flattens the loudness curve such that the highest velocity notes aren't much louder than the lowest velocity notes. So FFF to PPP can be made, in effect, to be almost the same LOUDNESS. What this does is to produce a much more "powerful" (I guess is the right word) sound.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited March 2023

This feature is not implemented in NI pianos as far as I can tell. I don't think you can easily add this by any means, as this requires modifications of scripts that those instruments are using.

EDIT: actually, I think in Noire piano the Dynamic knob at the bottom of the GUI seems to be exactly what you're talking about.