In Komplete Kontrol how to assign a knob to a MIDI CC?

Martin Schmid
Martin Schmid Member Posts: 66 Member

Hello.. I am using Komplete Kontrol to load a Kontakt instrument into Ableton Live. I can manually edit the MIDI CC to set the values (see first image, yellow circle labeled 1). However, I'd like to be able to control this through my S88 controller (see second image, yellow circle labeled 3). Note, there is no place to right-click to 'Learn MIDI CC Automation' since there isn't actually a control in the Komplete instrument to change.. it's just the setting shown labeled (2) that lets you define which MIDI CC.

What am I overlooking?

Best Answers

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I think it's all predifined? What you see there in KK software mirrors all the assigned controls on the keyboard.

It looks like 5 pages that represent the 5 tabs in the software. Not sure if I understand, but that's what I can tell you.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

You will not be able to control a parameter in an instrument from KK if it does not offer "Host Automation", so in Kontakt if you right-click and there is no "enable host automation" option then that parameter is not able to be controlled via a DAW at all.

Some controls do offer a MIDI input to control them but may not offer Host Automation control. When the keyboard is in "NKS Mode" it only works using Host Automation, you would need to switch it to MIDI mode to use an assigned MIDI CC

• Martin Schmid

i’m not looking to control a parameter in the instrument from the host. i’m wanting to send midi cc from a knob on the keyboard to my daw.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Then you need to be in MIDI mode because in NKS mode it does not send MIDI from the controls, it sends automation signals.

• Gee_Flat

Just so you know, I did that on purpose. I saw it was a few hours since it was posted and I figure any time you see my name, you'll respond. 😗

• JesterMgee
    edited February 2023

Did what on purpose? You think I care enough to follow you around or something? I never even replied to you, I responded to the OP because I have an answer, I help people round here with questions, not just drop in to random threads and post bull$h!t responses just to try and start something. Can certainly understand why your handle is Gee_flat, you certainly ain't a sharp one.

And if you are actually stating that you are deliberately going out of your way to cause animosity, not sure the moderators around here will be accomodationg of that

• Gee_Flat

Sometimes I see a good post and I feel bad for the person when it gets ignored or burried to page 3 within minutes, so I like to respond and it bumps the topic and gets the ball rolling. However, I know your concern with my lack of knowledge and how I shouldn't interact and provide misinformation, so that's the reason for my comment.

So I can only imagine when you see that I've posted a comment, that it ignites your curiosity. You take this stuff way too seriously. 😂 And I don't live in fear of what moderators think.

• Martin Schmid

@JesterMgee - thx for the insight.. I was thinking of trying this in just MIDI controller mode, but was thinking that would be giving up quite a bit... e.g., light guide for starters.

So, I guess ideally there are two possible paths..

1. NI implements something such user can assign MIDI CC capabilities as needed w/in KK. I'm sure much easier said than done, otherwise it would be there.
    2. Impact Soundworks adds a 'Strum Speed' setting w/in their Kontakt instrument so it could then be controlled w/ Automation

• Gee_Flat

So is the 'Performance / Rake / Strumming' tab I see there in your KK example empty? Or is it something completely unrelated to what you were looking for?

I'm always interested.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Well not sure either will ever be implemented. You could maybe look at adding a small additional MIDI controller for cases like this, something like a Korg nanoKontrol.

• Martin Schmid

Oh! Interesting idea. I could also use my Maschine in midi mode in this workflow. Thx!

• Martin Schmid

@Gee_Flat - "Performance / Rake / Strumming" is not directly related to what I was looking for...

here's what that tab has, FWIW.

https://youtu.be/A28_YZr6GOc

• Gee_Flat

Well that was no help 😄 But you answered my question.