Komplete Kontrol S2 88 keeps restarting

MightBMe
MightBMe Member Posts: 5 Member

It varies from every couple of minutes to every couple of hours but it's making work impossible. Each time it happens the NI branding comes up on the LCD screen. Exiting from Cubase and reopening the program doesn't help and I have to reboot my computer to get it to work again which would indicate...??? I'm not sure. Sometimes I go through all of that and it happens again immediately and this can occur 4 or 5 times in a row.

When it happens, Cubase becomes unresponsive for a while as if it's trying to reconnect to KK.

I moved about 6 months ago and this is new. . The move was not far and I moved this very carefully. I'm wondering if it could be the power supply where I am but nothing else that I have gives any hint of a poor power supply.

Google gives me a few hits for NI community but then the link takes me to the new forums and it seems all of the old ones have disappeared.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod

Hello,

could be a usb or, as you said, a power issue. I would guess a usb issue, have you tried another usb port, no usb hub.

• MightBMe

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried

new usb cable

Cable directly into computer

Cable via hub

Disconnected other devices

Power adaptor from my Maschine studio 8nstead

Power from a different power point

With audio monitors powered up and also off

Last night i went to use it and it happened 2 times immediately (requiring 2 reboots)but then was ok for another 4 hrs. Earlier in the day it was half a dozen times in a row and I gave up. If I don't reboot, the computer doesn't recognise it.

It can be triggered off by simply pushing in the top flat panel lightly. Really has me stumped.

Laptop is running latest Windows and all updates to NI including Kontakt 7 Full version and latest Komplete Kontrol.

At this point I'm wondering if opening it up and hitting it with kontakt cleaner (sorry...couldn't resist) might be helpful.

• Uwe303
    edited February 2023

I would not try a cleaner myself, does it also happen if you just touch either the power cable or the USB cable near the keyboard? How old is the keyboard?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Sounds like it could be a PCB issue, if you are saying that pressing on the top of the keyboard will trigger it then it sounds like an internal fault.

Have you tried powering the keyboard as a test just from USB. We have ruled out that it's not a USB power issue since it happens using your plug pack and you have even tested a different plug pack but if you power just from USB, that will at least take out an additional ground path from the equation.

If it is a PCB issue, it may hae been there from the start, just manifested when you moved the keyboard.

• MightBMe

Hi Uwe

Yes but the usb is fairly stable but the power button is incredibly sensitive. I think that when it happens due to playing with the usb connection, that it's affecting the posit.

ion of the power button What seems to be getting me by at the moment is to fiddle around until the power button seems to be in a stable position that isn't affected by hitting the keys. The vibration from playing was resetting the power.

Is this something that someone with moderate intelligence and technical skills could fix?

Appreciate the input. Thanks

• MightBMe

HI Jester. That only happened once and I think it was affecting the power button. See my response to Uwe. I haven't been able to replicate it.

You can't power this with just USB. It needs the power cable.

• Uwe303

If it is the power button and you have some technical skills you should be able to fix it.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

You can't power this with just USB. It needs the power cable.

Ah, my bad, The S49/61 can be bus powered but I guess the extra LEDs in the S88 call for a power supply.

So yeah by the sound of what you describe the power button is a bit dodgy and i do recall others in the past have had issues with the power button. When it is ON it should not be affected by small bumps or even being slightly touched, it should need a firm press to switch it off. If the button still has a distinct click it is likely a solder issue, prob just needs to be reseated on the PCB.

If out of warranty it may be possible to just open and resolder that button or even replace it if you know how or try and simply tape it up and not use it, just unplug the keyboard or use a switched outlet or something.