Traktor F1 Patter Player instructions for TPro 3.8.0

daveb124
daveb124 Member Posts: 84 Helper
edited February 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I have found and setup the F1 using the community support instructions but I cant find any instructions on how to actually use the f1 to control it all. The instructions in the beta posting were a bit vague....

is there a definitive guide somewhere that I am missing?

cheers

dave

Tagged:

Comments

• daveb124

ok after a poke around i think ive worked it out and not missing anything? Here is badly worded description:

Setup is 4 FX all assigned to deck 4 all assigned as pattern players...

• pressing "browse" lets you select which fx slot you are viewing by selecting the corresponding "stop" button at the bottom
    • shift and one of those 4 stop buttons does the same
    • but browse also lets you select different fx slot types per fx slot, first row of 4 lets you choose fx group; 2nd 4 single fx; 3rd row pattern player. 1-4 on each row corresponding to each of the fx slots. Makes more sense when you play with it....
    • once you have selected an fx slot via either method above you can choose which pattern pack you want by turning the encoder above browse
    • then top 4 encoders map to the 4 on the fx slot: volume; pattern; pitch and decay
    • you can override the pattern using the 16 pads, but as soon as you turn pattern selector encoder it will overwrite your pattern
    • and 4 stop buttons at bottom map to the 4 buttons on the fx slot: stop/start; sample selection "up"; sample selection "down" (use to cycle through the samples in the pack) as per the GUI; duck

thats pretty much all I can work out.

so the 4 faders do nothing and there are 6 buttons unused.... im sure there must be more that can be done with those with some more mappings...

• a button to stop all at once?
    • mute all at once?
    • It would be nice if you could change the pattern length like you could with the old F1 step sequencer mapping
    • im sure there are more ideas ...
    • And it might be nice to map the faders the same as the top row encoders....
    • or use each fader as the volume control for each of the 4 fx slots...
  • Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod
    • pressing "browse" lets you select which fx slot you are viewing by selecting the corresponding "stop" button at the bottom

What do you think about that workflow?

• daveb124

It's ok i guess ? Not used it enough yet to see if I use that method or the shift method more. It's been ages since I used an F1. Im happy to have the 4x4 grid working though. That's the best bit. Have you got a mapping on the way too ? :)

• Stevan
    edited February 2023

In my mapping I set MUTE buttons to select (focus) one of the FX Units. Being faster was the only reason because this is important feature to have it living in the Shift layer. Especially if the mapping supports all four FX Units. I would understand the reason behind this decesion if there were more than 4 FX units so maybe those are in the works. Fingers crossed :)

Cyrrently, this is what I got mapped.

MUTE = Select FX Unit in focus. (Just like with any step sequencer mapping)

SHIFT + MUTE = Assign an FX Unit to a Deck.

Encoder Turn = Select prev/next sound.

SHIFT + Encoder Turn = Select prev/next kit.

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru

Does NI not have any instructions of how to use? Now 3.8 is released could do with a video or pdf. @Kaiwan_NI

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Confirming there's a video planned @Tellmeaboutit123 👍

• daveb124

I like the idea of using Mutes for selection then the encoder for selecting sound (and shift select for the pack). that makes sense.

shift + mute for assignment also works.

but what do you then use for start / stop and duck?

I would then like to use the 4 faders to control the 4 volumes of each fx regardless of unit selected. For some chopping fun. Would that work?

At some point they have to add pattern length too.

They could do this by shift and pattern style encoder.

• Ashley Brown
    Ashley Brown Member Posts: 13 Member

It’s ridiculous that NI would release this without even a forum post with instructions, let alone a diagram to explain how it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• daveb124

hey @Stevan has this been taken down? the link is broken. I did a radio show tonight and tried the standard f1 mapping and its not very intuitive. the fact you have to shift to select the unit and its the same buttons as changing parameters caught me out too much, i want to try yours. i definitely want to map the faders to volume for each unit though. any tips on that would be appreciated. daveb

• Stevan

I took that mapping down and the forum thread with it. I don't want people take ****** on something took me hundred of hours to build and share for free like a fool :)

People have problems with Traktor subcription for the PP.

When NI add free version of PP I will reupload it again.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert

It's now one month later. Is that video still .. planned?

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru
    edited April 2023

Hi @Stevan can you release your mapping to your site? Maybe put a little charge on. I have the original pattern player mapping, it’s ok I guess. I can’t seem to route my f1 to a channel, so can’t listen through headphones or effect pattern player.

• Stevan

Maybe in the future. If NI release base version of the PP.