Online Manuals and PDF

tmpc
tmpc Member Posts: 73 Member
edited May 2022 in Kontakt

I just purchased Lores and was surprised to find that there is no pdf manual included in the download. I understand that an online manual is easy to update, but to not offer it as a downloadable pdf file sucks. Yeah, I can go through the effort to turn each webpage into a pdf file and then bundle them together, but it's a lot of work. It can't be that hard to offer an on the fly pdf conversion and download on your website. Please make this available.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

I asked this question to the documentation team and I'll let you know when I hear more.

I agree that even if we go forward with online manuals, there should still be an option to download it somewhere.

• tmpc

Thanks very much, Matt. I hope you folks can do that.

In the mean time, I was able to print the sections out as PDFs and combine them. So, I'm good to go with Lores.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    edited November 2022

Just heard that they will discuss this and try to see what options they can have to also offer PDF manuals (directly online or on request).

Edit: the PDF is back on the website :)

• tmpc

Thanks Matt. Looks way better than the one I cobbled together.

• aqaraza
    aqaraza Member Posts: 1 Member

I'd just like to bring this to the admin's attention again (hopefully) and see if Lores PDF can be added to the distribution or made officially available. I was able to download the version user-linked above, but for such an expensive instrument it's pretty odd for there not to be an official PDF manual easily available, and one shouldn't have to link to customer sites to get it. Thanks NI!

• Jan.Ola_NI
    Jan.Ola_NI Product Team Posts: 1 mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @tmpc and @aqaraza, the LORES Manual PDF download is now available on the product page: https://www.native-instruments.com/products/komplete/cinematic/lores/

• Donkey Oaty
    Donkey Oaty Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2023

The online manuals are sub-optimal. Why? A manual is typically a cohesive document split into revelant sections. I was cheesed-off when I came to trying to use the online manuals for both "Prime Bass" and "Electric Mint". No PDF - a link to web pages.

Firstly these took me through some ridiculous 'captcha' type thing, designed by some introverted fool who hadn't been outside his/her/they's home country (you know the type of thing - they ask you identify 'fire hydrants' and show you USA ones - when much of the RoW has no clue about these things as their hydrants are buried). This one asked me to identify 'residential housing' and showed me no housing - just skyscrapers and rural 21st century SBUs. Who authorizes the use of these time-wasting things?

Secondly - no PDF on the link when I got through to it

Thirdly - and most importanlty - no cohesive document. Nope. Someon'e let graphic desgners split this into multiple documents, because it's prettier. Prettier but lacking the utiity of one document vs 3. Why???? Manuals are utlilitarian things.

• Donkey Oaty
    Donkey Oaty Member Posts: 27 Member

Eventually found manuals for both products. But what a pain and time-waste. IF NI is going to publish online manuals and then provide a link to these in new launches, I can understand this. What I cannot understand, and it shows a lack of customer care, is NOT putting a link on these html pages to the full PDF manual when it is published.

• tmpc

I totally agree with the need for downloadable PDF manuals. But, if you ever find yourself in a situation where a company can't or won't make one available, download an extension for the FireFox browser called SingleFile. If will download all or a selected part of a webpage and save it as a self contained (including graphics) html file. I have a bunch of manuals in this form and they will open up in any browser.