Native Access 2 cannot be installed

alex9
alex9 Member Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2022 in Native Access

Opened a project in Reaper, Kontakt required an activation, OK, let's download NA2, run it .... and here we go:

Now, why the hell did you DELETE the original version of Native Access WITHOUT asking me?

Now, I have neither NA1 nor NA2.

Do you care to test your software at all? This is below any standard, even kids in school would do better (((

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

For all affected users, please check these articles first:

Run Native Access as administrator: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

Then follow these steps: Native Access Does Not Start / Install (Windows)

If that still does not work, lease try applying the following steps to Native Access: 

Fixing Software Update Installation Issues (Windows)

If NA does not appear in that list, you may need to remove the registry entry manually:  

• Open the Registry Editor by selecting Start, Run, typing regedit and clicking OK.
    • Navigate your way to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments 
    • In the left panel, with the Uninstall key expanded, right-click the Native Access. Click Yes to confirm, and that item is officially off the list. 

Then restart your computer and try the Native Access installation again. 

Now if all that fails get in touch here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_install

Answers

• alex9

Downloaded the legacy NA1 v1.14, installed, now I have NA 3.0.1

What is going on? :)

Well, at least it seems to work now.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited November 2022

Native Access 3.0.1 is actually the latest version of Native Access 2 (aka the new Native Access) . We'll have to work on the naming of these as it's a little confusing. From the initial error message, I would also recommend to run Native Access as admin: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

• alex9

Jeremy, NA2 requires elevation so you cannot run it as non-admin. So not sure what the point of your suggestion is.

It's 2023 and you guys have not fixed the critical 100% reproducible error. It appears you did not test your application for non-admin users.

BTW, why do you require an elevation at all?

• alex9

You have to fix the issue, your Native Access decided to upgrade its version, uninstalled itself, and then failed to install the new version.

Epic fail 🤦‍♂️

• WilliF
    WilliF Member Posts: 4 Member

I have a similar problem with Native Access 2. When I went to install NA2 it uninstalled my existing NA1 and stopped. On second attempt to install NA2 got this error message

"Unable to uninstall the previous version of Native access. If it's open, please close it and try again. Otherwise, UNINSTALL IT MANUALLY AND RETRY INSTALLATION".

I tried to use windows uninstall program as native access was still listed even though it would not start. FAIL. So I tried manually to uninstall - searched C: drive deleted anything related to NA1, Checked other drives D:/Documents:, and the content/download drive H:/NI a 2Tb drive exclusive for NI. Went into regedit and deleted ALL NA1 reference files. Ran System Mech fix it software to look for errors. NONE found. Attempted to install NA2 SAME ERROR MESSAGE!

WHAT??? It had uninstalled NA1 and now everything is running in DEMO mode. F>>>. I ran around the merry go round of FAQ's ZIP, NADA, Nothing close. Luckily for me I have a major backup system. I was able to restore my NA1 from backup and now my Ult-12 is working again. NA1 loads and tells me there are a bunch of updates that FAIL when U try to install including K7. It also wants to install 32bit versions of Ult12, my system is x64 and I mostly use VST3x64's.

WHY do I have to install the 32 Bit versions? which by the way, will not install they also FAIL.

OS is Win 10 x64 PRO and on full auto update. Intel i7 6700K chip 4.0 with 64Gb ram

IDEAS' anyone???

WiLLi & the MusicMachine

• jasmeadca
    jasmeadca Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Having same issue as WilliF. Trying to install Native Access 2 but get same message:

"Unable to uninstall the previous version of Native access. If it's open, please close it and try again. Otherwise, UNINSTALL IT MANUALLY AND RETRY INSTALLATION".

Initially used standard App uninstall process but it couldn't find the file path to uninstall so I have searched virtually every file on my computer manually and find no remnants of a prior Native Access. Have opened a support ticket and am waiting for reply. Seems as if this is not an isolated incident. Will post as soon as I get this resolved

• Jeremy_NI

@WilliF @jasmeadca You both contacted our support and they got back to you with some steps to try out. Any success?

• Jeremy_NI
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

For all affected users, please check these articles first:

Run Native Access as administrator: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

Then follow these steps: Native Access Does Not Start / Install (Windows)

If that still does not work, lease try applying the following steps to Native Access: 

Fixing Software Update Installation Issues (Windows)

If NA does not appear in that list, you may need to remove the registry entry manually:  

• Open the Registry Editor by selecting Start, Run, typing regedit and clicking OK.
    • Navigate your way to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments 
    • In the left panel, with the Uninstall key expanded, right-click the Native Access. Click Yes to confirm, and that item is officially off the list. 

Then restart your computer and try the Native Access installation again. 

Now if all that fails get in touch here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_install

• alex9
    edited December 2023

OK, one year has passed and NI has not fixed the same crash!

Your software update function uninstalled NA again and of course did not install the update. The customers have been complaining about this critical issue for years and NI just does not care... amazing. So tired with this stupid piece of app, it uninstalls itself every time I try to update! Every time I hope "maybe they fixed it this time?" and then the installer just uninstalls the current version and crashes, as always.

Please stop posting irrelevant answers and mark the question answered. The question is NOT answered. What you wrote in your "accepted" answer is non-sense and has no relation to the original question. I do not accept that answer.

Your developers should learn the basics of privileges management in Windows. If you require admin rights (why??) then please care to properly handle the case when user is not admin. I gave you the steps to reproduce, it's 100% reproducible bug, why don't you just fix it?

• alex9

2024: the issue still exists.

I presume the issue comes from sloppy programming.

1. NI installer (NA) requires admin rights. Why? NA just downloads DLLs for user, why would NA need admin privileges for that? Because NI wants to write user files into system locations, hah? Who did create such a dumb design?
    2. Even when admin privileges are provided then NA fails to start because NA exe is placed into admin folder, while running under user account. This means you guys never tested your software.

The bug is easy to fix and yet it is not fixed. Another example is the flagship Guitar Rig's UI, where no standard Windows commands are implemented (!). Good luck with scrolling through presets.